About Chandra Bhedana (Left Nostril Breathing) Pranayama:
Chandra is the Moon, Bhedana means passing through. In Chandra Bhedana Pranayama, left nostril is used for inhalation and right nostril is used for exhalation.It is said that on inhalation, energy passes through Ida (Chandra) Nadi and on exhalation through Pingala or Surya Nadi. These are larger nadis that hold the balance of energy created by the sun and the moon and the magnetism. They travel from the base of the spine to the point between the eyebrows.
Also, Read – Scientific Benefits of Pranayama
Chandra Bhedi (or Bhedana) is just the opposite of Surya Bhedi and activates the Ida Nadi that is associated with cooling aspect and the parasympathetic nervous system.
Also, Read – 11 Types of Pranayama you need to know
Benefits of Chandra Bhedana (Left Nostril Breathing) Pranayama:
1. Chandra Bhedi Pranayam reduce the body heat.
2. Useful in heart burning problems.
3. Very effective in high blood pressure.
4. Useful in fever.
5. Mind becomes steady by the daily practice of this pranayam.
6. Helps in reducing tension, stress and other mental problems.
7. Reduces the flow of gall.
8. The benefits of this pranayama are quite opposite to the benefits of Suryabhedi pranayama.
Precautions Chandra Bhedana (Left Nostril Breathing) Pranayama:
1. This pranayama should not be done during winters.
2. People suffering from heart disease, low blood pressure or epilepsy should avoid this pranayama.
3. In the initial stage, don’t hold the breath.
4. Perform pranayam with empty stomach.
5. Make sure that you practice Chandra Bhedana pranayama 4–5 hours after having your food.
6. Inhalation and exhalation should be in the ratio of 1:2.
7. If you feel little bit of discomfort then you can reduce the ratio of breathing.
8. Don’t perform Chandra Bhedana and surya bhedana pranayam in the same day.
9. It should not be performed if you are suffering from any kind of cold, it increases the cooling in your body.
“Practice Chandra Bhedana Pranayama: Download today app 7pranayama from App store or Play store”
How to Start Chandra Bhedana (Left Nostril Breathing) Pranayama:
1. Sit in a comfortable pose. We advice you to sit with your backbone straight and make sure you fill breath in lungs.
2. In Chandra Bhedana (Left Nostril Breathing) pranayama, inhalation is done only through left nostril and exhalation is done only through right nostril. The thumb is used to close the right nostril and the ring finger is used to close the left nostril.
3. Choose a level of exercise, you can easily keep up with and breathe comfortably.
Set your value for inhale, exhale and hold.Ratio of Inhale, Hold and Exhale is 1:4:2. The ratio 1:4:2 is mentioned in most classic yoga texts.
inhale = x secexhale = 2inhale = 2x sec
hold = 2exhale = 4x sec
Pranayama beginners should start with the ratio of 1:1 for inhale and exhale. For instance if you inhale through one nostril for 4 seconds, then the exhalation from the other nostril should also be for 4 seconds. As you progress, the ratio for inhale and exhale can be changed to 1:2, which means if inhalation is 4 seconds, then exhalation is 8 seconds.
4. Close Your Eyes.
How Does It Works?
Press ‘Start’ to begin:
1. Close the right nostril, using your right thumb and start breathing in. Try to use full seconds.
2. Hold both nostrils, using your thumb and ring finger, and hold your breath.
3. Open your right nostril and breath out slowly and steadily.
4. Repeat from Step 1.