Yoga has many benefits and among those are mental and spiritual awakening. It puts the practitioner in a surreal state which makes him connected to the surrounding and the spiritual world. There are many practices in Yoga which help in attaining this awakening and relaxation. Among those is Yoga Nidra.
Yoga Nidra which is also known as Yogic Sleep is a potent and powerful relaxation method which a person can do when he has to gain control over his relaxation response. If this practice is done right, it can be restorative as sleep while the body remains fully conscious. If the person fails to practice it successfully, then he might fall asleep which is also a restorative as successfully done Yoga Nidra.
Mentioned below are two methods to do Yoga Nidra.
- First, you require a recording of someone who is reading aloud the instructions of Yoga Nidra. In order to induce Yoga Nidra, one must list to the given set of instructions just like a guided meditation. One can also listen to a friend who is reading the instructions, but the best way is to listen to a recording of someone or yourself which is considered more practical. A good recording should be soft as well as have soothing feel along with being clear. Many practitioners tend to prefer female recordings, but it is not necessary, and you can always find various male recordings if that works perfectly fine for you.
- The second step is to prepare blankets which should be a soft yoga mat or any other comfortable surface which is meant for sitting or lying on. For Yoga Nidra to be an absolute success, you need to be as much comfortable as you can be. In case you own a memory foam mattress or mat then that is the best thing to use. If it is not the case, you can use any pillows or mats that work for you. Some people often prefer to elevate their feet or sometimes their head.
- Now you need to prepare comforts like incense, a candle etc. You don’t wish to be breathing in toxic fumes, any kind of artificial fragrances or any bad smells when you are practising yoga. Scents can essentially directed specifically towards the encouragement of emotional reactions. Some of them may foster tranquillity, which also calms the nervous system while other can promote a sense of happiness, joy as well as energy.
- You should always wear loose clothing. You will definitely want clothing which is comfortable for you and you can breathe easy. This can assist you in avoiding any unsuccessful attempts if you are not comfortable. You don’t have to buy or wear any specific yoga clothes, as you require just loose as well as breathable clothes.
- Now you require to warm up with Sun Salutations, also known as Surya Namaskar. Doing few rounds of this sun salutations can effectively make and prepare your muscles as well as mind to practice yoga. If this yoga doesn’t relax you, then you can try learning and do a few yoga asanas. There is a wide range of yoga poses also known as asanas, which one can practice and most of them range from being simple and relaxing to difficult as well as strenuous.
- Make sure that you make the room as quite as you can. In order to attain a full concentration of mind, the room must be silent. However, in these busy times of today, it might seem to be impossible. Instead of focusing on just making the room silent, you should focus on making the room as quiet as possible.
Yoga Nidra Practice
- First, you need to lie flat on the back along with arms stretched outwards by your sides or do it what feels more comfortable. It is also an option is you choose to sit in an easy and comfortable position, but few people have found that this particular position tends to be unsuccessful. Now position the head wherever it feels more comfortable to you.
- Now close your ease and then relax your eyelids. Let them simply lie on the eyeballs or not.
- Start taking a couple of deep breathes while emphasizing on exhalation. Breathe in via your nostrils while gradually filling up your lungs with air and then exhale through your mouth. Now try to inhale as well as exhale on a count of 10 seconds.
- When the voice recording dictates you, then rotate and visualize that particular body part which is called. Focus on that particular body part and don’t allow your mind to get distracted by any other thing.
- Repeat the above-mentioned step 4 until you have successfully rotated as well as visualized all of your body parts. You will now feel completely relaxed and also feel that all the tension is gone.
- The next step is to get aware of your body in whole. As you did with every part of your body, now try to visualize the entire body of yours just as it is lying down. For few people, it generally helps to visualize an aura which is glowing around themselves.
- Now you have to prepare to return to your ordinary consciousness. Move on to gently moving your fingers for just a few moments and then take a deep breath, followed by opening your eyes. Expect that you will come out of Yogic Sleep in a natural way whether you return even after 15 minutes or for a whole hour.
- Move on to returning to your sitting position. Do not get up instantly or try to rouse yourself aggressively. Simple sit in criss-cross position or if you are more advanced in yogic practices then try to sit in the lotus position.
- In case you want to continue or you have enough time then you can finish up with some other asanas. This will also help your body to get fully awake and take your body completely out of the Yogic sleep.
With this above-mentioned steps, you can do Yogic Sleep with effectiveness. You will definitely find various benefits of doing this practice. It will make you relax and feel you more spiritually awake. It will surely help you attain comfort and peace of mind.