Ardha Matsyendrasana is named after the famous yogi Matsyendranath. This pose is one of the most popular seated twisting poses, as well as favorite meditation pose, and most important asanas in Hatha Yoga. It is known as Half Lord of the Fishes Pose, Half Spinal Twist Pose, or Vakrasana (which means twist) that is a variation of advanced level Matsyendersana.
Matsyendrasana is a difficult asana, so it has been simplified and converted into this form. That is why it is called “Ardhamatsyendrasana”.
This asana is a grounding stretch for the outer hips. Moreover, your spine also gets two side twists throughout its length. However, it is a little difficult to practice. but if you perform it systematically, in a matter of days, one can master this asana.
“Ardha Matsyendrasana Yoga Pose” Meaning
let’s understand the meaning of Ardha Matsyendrasana. The name Ardha Matsyendrasana comes from the Sanskrit language here ‘Ardha‘ means ‘Half‘, ‘Matsya‘ means ‘Fish‘, ‘Indra‘ means ‘King‘ and ‘Asana‘ means ‘ yoga posture‘. It is also acknowledged as one of the 12 basic asanas used in many systems of Hatha Yoga.
This asana has another name Vakrasana comes from the Sanskrit language here ‘Vakra’ means twisted and asana means pose. That’s why this asana is called the Spinal Twist pose. This Spinal Twist Pose is a seated spinal twist and has a whole lot of variations.
In this article, we will talk about-Learn step by step technique and benefits of Ardha Matsyendersana, along with precautions.
Ardha Matsyendrasana Yoga Quick Facts
Sanskrit Name: Ardha Matsyendrasana
Meaning: Ardha = half; Matsyendra = king of the fish; Matsya = fish; Indra = ruler.
Pronounced: ARE-dah MAT-see-en-DRAHS-anna
English Name: Half Lord of the Fishes Pose/Seated Twist Pose
Type: Twist, Stretch
Focing Chakras: Solar Plexus (Manipura Chakra) , Sacral Chakra (Swadisthana Chakra) , Root Chakra (Muladhara Chakra)
How to do Ardha Matsyendersana (half lord of the fishes pose)
This asana is a bit complicated, so first of all practice should be started by knowing about the right ways to do it. Let us know what are the steps for Ardha Matsyendrasana.
- Sit on the seat with both legs extended or Dandasana yoga pose.
- Bend the left leg at the knee and place the heel under the anus. Put the sole of the foot with the right thigh.
- Now stand with the right leg bent at the knee and while taking it above the thigh of the left leg, keep the back of the thigh above the ground.
- Now place the left hand on the knee of the right leg, that is, while pressing the knee to the side, make the left hand stand straight.
- Turn the torso to the right so that the pressure of the left shoulder is properly placed above the knee of the right leg.
- Now keep the right hand pressed on the ground near the right hip.
- After this, Turn the head to the right so that the chin and left shoulder come in a straight line. Keep the chest tight. Don’t lean down.
- In last, Fix the mind in the Manipura Chakra located behind the navel.
- It was a one-sided seat.
- Similarly, first bend the right leg and press the heel under the anus and do the posture on the other side.
- It is enough to do this asana for five seconds in the beginning. Then by increasing the practice, one can do asana on one side for one minute.
Ardha Matsyendrasana Benefits
- By keeping the spine healthy with Ardha Matsyendrasana, the energy of puberty remains. Along with the bones of the spine, the nerves coming out of them also get a good workout.
- This asana makes the shoulder more flexible. and shoulder twists are essential to detoxify our emotions and body.
- It specifically stimulates Navel chakra or Manipura chakra. and thus, helps those suffering from diabetes.
- Various parts of the abdomen are also benefited. The back, stomach, legs, neck, arms, waist, below the navel and the nerves of the chest get a good stretch, it has a good effect on them.
- By regular practicing of Twist Pose the pains of the waist, back pain, and joints are quickly removed.
- Along with the spine, it also affects the health of the joints. The joints of the legs, arms, and waist become healthy and strong.
- The Half Spinal Twist yoga pose not only helps in curing nervous disorders but also helps in Indigestion. As a result, the bondage is removed. The gastritis is intense.
- This asana increases the blood circulation in your body, purifies the blood, and also supplies blood to all the parts of the body.
- The Solar Plexus and Vishuddha Chakra is activated by the practice of Ardha Matsyendrasana, which results in increased oxygen and blood circulation in the lungs and other parts of the chest. Due to which throat or respiratory diseases start getting cured.
- Abs are strengthened by practicing Ardha Matsyendrasana daily and this asana also works to tone them. Apart from this, the muscles also get stronger.
- This asana is beneficial for deformed liver, spleen and inactive kidney.
- This yoga posture is more beneficial for women having problems in menstruation, fatigue or pain in the body.
- This asana must be avoided during pregnancy and menstruation due to the twist at the abdomen.
- If practitioner suffering from major slipped disc.
- In the case of Hyperthyroidism must avoid this asana.
- Should avoid in case of severe back ache or spinal injury.
Ardha Matsyendrasana is not very easy like other asanas, so beginners in a yoga practice this asana under the supervision of a yoga expert. But after a few days of practice, it becomes quite easy to do this asana. It is beneficial for various parts of the body from the point of view of health.
Nov 29, 2023
How to do Bakasana (Crow/Crane Pose ) And Its Benefits?
"Bakasana" is just another name of Crane or Crow Pose, also known as Kakasna. Basically, work on arm and wrist[...]
Nov 22, 2023
5 Yoga Poses for Ajna Chakra Balance and Spiritual Alignment
The concept of seven chakras is rooted in ancient Indian spiritual traditions, particularly within the practice of yoga and Ayurveda.[...]
Nov 02, 2023
7 Yoga Poses For Women Looking To Get A Leaner Body
Yoga is a wonderful practice for women (and men) that can help them achieve a toned and leaner body when[...]