The butterfly pose is a wonderful seated posture, almost like as Ashtanga Yoga version of Badhakonasana or Bound Angle Pose. And sometimes called Throne or Cobblers pose as it resembles the sitting position of a cobbler during work. It is known as the butterfly pose because of the movement of the legs while performing this pose, as a butterfly is seen flapping its wings.
The word butterfly translates as ‘Titli’ (bird) and the word pose as asana or posture. The Sanskrit name Badhakonasana because of the way it is carried out – As tied or bound in a particular angle. This is described in the 15th century Hatha Yoga Pradipika. and helps in Physical and mental relaxation and reduced stress.
The butterfly stretch is a big stretch and seated hip opener that requires a combination of stability, flexibility, and effort. During Titliasana, make sure to maintain a focus on your breathing. This asana is often performed to prepare with other sitting postures– Padmasana, Swastikasana, and Meditative poses. The person who consistently practices this asana becomes both young as well as attractive. This pose has numerous health benefits, the benefits of the butterfly pose especially after workouts, perfect for all levels, including kids yoga, pregnancy yoga, and beginners level yoga.
Butterfly Pose Quick Facts
Sanskrit Name: Titli Asana and Baddha Konasana
Pronunciation: BAH-dah koh-NAH-suh-nuh
Meaning: Badha = Bound or Restrained, Kona = Angle, Asana = Pose or Posture
English: Butterfly Pose
Type: Stretch yoga
Stretch: Inner thighs, groins, hip region, and knees.
How To Do Yoga Butterfly Pose (Titli Asana)
Simple steps for butterfly stretch:
- To enter the pose- first, sit in Dandasana, Sit with the legs outstretched straight in front of you.
- Now bend your both knees and bring your feet towards the pelvis. make sure the soles of your feet should touch each other.
- Grasp your feet together along with your hands.
- In this position, your spine should be straight as much as possible
- Take a deep breath in. While Breathing out, move your knees up and down. (till your knees touch the ground).and press your thighs and knees down toward the floor by pressing your elbows on the knees
- Now start flapping both the legs up and down like the wings of a butterfly.
- In beginning slowly and then fly higher and higher, as fast as you can. and feel comfortable.
- Hold the pose for about two to five minutes.
Benefits of Butterfly Pose(Titli Asana)
- Butterfly pose can help stretch the lower back muscles to relieve lower back pain.
- This pose not only increases fertility levels but also ensures a smoother delivery if practiced till late pregnancy.
- Butterfly pose is more beneficial for pregnant women for the easy and smooth delivery.
- If you feel any discomfort or irregularity with the menstruation, it will help in curing menstruation problems and increases fertility levels.
- The health benefit of yoga butterfly pose is good stress on the connective tissues of the groin.
- It also improves blood circulation, detoxifies the body, strengthens the muscles, enhances the release of happy hormones, and helps in a smooth, safe, and healthy life.
- Daily practices of Titli asana also helps to stimulate the abdominal organs, prostate glands, endocrine glands, bladder, and kidneys.
- This asana enhances the function of the reproductive system in man and women both.
- It improves flexibility in the groin, shoulder, knees, thighs, and hip regions.
- Butterfly pose also curing for asthma, high blood pressure, infertility. regular practice of this asana stimulates the reproductive and digestive organs.
- A big help is that calms the mind and relieves headaches.
- Sciatica patients must avoid this pose because it can be aggravating.
- Use either a blanket under the outer thighs for support or sit on a cushion to raise the hips, if you suffer from any kind of knee and groin injury.
- Avoid practice this asana if you are menstruating.
Yoga is a physical exercise that originated in ancient India and also teaches us how to achieve a healthy life, good and peaceful health by using Pranayama, Yoga, and Meditation. And also we can achieve good health by following various asanas like Surya Namaskar, Dhanurasana, Garudasana, and many other asanas. In this way, the Butterfly pose known as Titliasana offers a wide range of benefits. The butterfly stretch can be used by swimmers, players, and athletes to improve flexibility and all levels to do every day.
Sep 09, 2021
How to do Gorakshasana (Cowherd Pose) And What Are Its Benefits?
Gorakshasana is an intermediate-level yoga pose, practiced for various mental and health benefits. It is a very simple sitting position.[...]
Sep 04, 2021
How to do Janusirsasana (Head to Knee Pose) And What Are Its Benefits?
In the modern era, many people are tense with physical problems, and especially working people. It is okay for these[...]
Sep 04, 2021
How to do Kukkutasana (Cockerel Pose) And What Are Its Benefits?
Like most of the asanas in Yoga, Kukkutasana is also a type of asana. There is no doubt in calling[...]