Kapalbhati Pranayama is an efficient and effective Yogic practice which helps a person to oxygenate the body. It is a type of breathing exercise which allows the person to get rid of different ailments, especially mental and psychological ones, over a period of time.
Menstruation disorder can cure in 1-2 months continues practice of Anulom-Vilom Pranayama and Kapalbhati.
Borrowed from Sanskrit words, Kapal meaning Skull, Bhati meaning Shining and Pranayama meaning breathing technique, it is a great practice, if done correctly and consistently, can deliver great results to the practitioner.
Kapalbhati is a breathing technique in which proper process of inhalation and exhalation is done. The inhalation or Puraka, it normal while the exhalation or Rechaka is rapid and forceful. Kumbhaka or holding of breath is not done in Kapalbhati. In this yogic practice, only inhalation and exhalation is carried out. The action or process of exhalation is the major part of Kapalbhati. It has a purifying effect on nerves and the pranic nadis which calms mind and body.
Also, Read – Scientific Benefits of Pranayama
When we consider normal breathing, the inhalation is the active processor while the exhalation is a passive one. In the case of Kapalbhati, there is a reversal of the process. In this practice, the air is forcefully exhaled by the abdominal muscles as well as the diaphragm, during the exhalation. The abdominal muscles are moved forcefully inward towards the diaphragm which throws out the air. During the inhalation, the lungs fill the breath via normal inhalation. The breath shouldn’t be forced during the inhalation process, and it must be carried out as a normal process while the exhalation process must be done forcefully. This pranayama is a practice without any sort of gap between the two respiration processes.
Benefits of Kapalbhati Pranayama (Skull Purification)
- Its prime physical benefits are weight loss as it works up the respiratory system as well as the abdominal muscles.
- It helps in achieving body tone and a better physical state.
- This pranayama cleanses the cranial sinuses, and this helps in relieving from cerebral thrombosis.
- It purifies the nerves as well as pranic channels.
- It clears the mind and helps in controlling the thoughts which essentially leads to increased concentration, focus, and peace of mind.
- It is the best practice to be followed to oxygenate the blood.
- By practicing Kapalbhati Pranayama, one can regulate the breathing mechanism.
- It improves the function of the digestive tract as well as absorption and assimilation of nutrients which is vital for better health.
- It adds luster as well as beauty to the face and makes it more radiant.
- It drastically reduces the risk of developing hernias.
- It is an excellent pranayama which should be done to control the effect and reduce the damage due to diabetes. It helps in controlling blood sugar level and hence control diabetes.
- It also helps in controlling obesity and getting rid of excess fats.
- Digestion system will improve.
- Do you know mind consume more energy from what eat and if you practicing for competition exam and your routine of study is 5+ hours? Kapalbhati practice can be very beneficial for your mind.
Kapalbhati has shown great results for skin. Its practice cleanses the body from the inside, which results in excretion of all impurities and dirt. Thus we can see clear and glowing skin. It works strongly for those who continuously face acne and wrinkles.
For Weight Loss
Kapalbhati is traditional practice for internal cleansing. It cleans all the toxins which are present in any form. Profound breathing expands oxidation in your body promoting weight reduction. Breathing lifts digestion which in a roundabout way prompts weight reduction. Moreover, the breathing technique increases metabolism which supports weight loss.
Kapalbhati controls all the factors which are harmful to the heart. It controls the High Blood pressure problem and balances. It removes all the toxins present in the body in any form. It works on stress and depression which are highly responsible for heart attacks.
Pranayamas are known best for the overall body. Kapalbhati can play an important roll in nice hair health. The pranayama practice ensures the proper flow of oxygen in the overall body and so goes with hair scalp. The proper flow of oxygen in the scalp gives good natural growth and shine to hair. Which automatically reduces the problem of hair fall.
Precaution Kapalbhati Pranayama (Skull Purification)
- The person who is suffering from any heat or acid related gastric issues like ulcers should practice Kapalbhati with extreme caution.
- Kapalbhati shouldn’t be practised by the people who suffer from heart disease, high blood pressure, stroke or epilepsy.
- Women shouldn’t practice Kapalbhati during and shortly after the pregnancy.
- People who are suffering from cardiac problems, spinal disorders and hernia, are not recommended to practice Kapalbhati.
- Kapalbhati should be done mostly in the morning or if it is isn’t possible then do it after 4 to 5 hours of taking food.
Exhalation Stroke in Kapalbhati
If you beginners and your age is 40+ years please try to do one stroke in one sec . If you are younger and you can do 2 stroke in one sec . Don’t do more than 2 if you are not practitioner minimum 365 days.
How to Start Practice Kapalbhati Pranayama:-
- First, you need to sit in a comfortable posture such as Sukashana, Padmasana. We advise that you should sit with your backbone straight and also make sure that you fill your lungs with breath.
- Next thing you need to decide is set of rounds in your mind or You can use 7pranayama app which has the option to set round and reminder with logs. Set the number rounds you want to do in one minute and also set the time of how many minutes you want to practice it.
- Now, close your eyes.
Steps to do Kapalbhati
- First, inhale through both of your nostrils in a normal fashion such that your stomach go outside.
- Now exhale through your nostrils forcefully such that your stomach will go deep inside. Like you are leaving your breath in chunks and your stomach going inside.
- Inhale normally don’t force for inhalation. Only Focus on exhalation
Keep repeating these steps until you have reached the specified time limit that you set for your self.