The Surya Mudra is a hand gesture or seal that is believed to stimulate the energy associated with the sun, particularly the fire element within the body according to traditional Indian medicine and yoga practices, such as Ayurveda and Mudra Vigyan. In these practices, mudras are thought to influence the flow of energy in the body and promote physical, mental, and spiritual well-being.
In hatha yoga, mudras are used in combination with meditation and pranayama (yogic breathing exercises). usually mudra is a sitting posture, to stimulate various parts of the body associated with breathing and affect the flow of prana. Although there are hundreds of types of yoga mudras, different yoga mudra are practiced to remove different diseases present in the body.
Practitioners believe that each finger represents one of the five elements, and the ring finger is associated with the fire element. By bringing the thumb (representing the ego) to press on the ring finger (representing the fire element), it is thought to increase and balance the fire element within the body.
Surya Mudra – Agni Mudra
Some Mudras are comfortable to practice. We can influence our attitude, thinking and health just by touching the hands with our fingers. One such beneficial posture is Surya Mudra. Surya Mudra has great importance in yoga.
The word Surya comes from Sanskrit. There Surya means “Sun” and Mudra means “gesture”.
According to Ayurveda, Surya Mudra is related to the Sun. Sun is considered a symbol of health and energy.
Surya Mudra is the opposite of Prithvi Mudra. By doing Surya Mudra the fire element of the human body is controlled. And the excess of earth element is eliminated. Therefore this mudra is also known as Agni Vardhaka Mudra.
Surya mudra is also known as Agni mudra, Agni Vardhak mudra, Prithvi Shamak Mudra, Weight loss mudra.
The Sun finger is the ring finger, also known as the Anamika. This finger is related to the Sun and the planet Uranus. Sun represents energy and health. Uranus symbolizes intuition, sexuality and transformation.
If two-three postures are required simultaneously and there is paucity of time, two postures can also be performed simultaneously. For example, Surya Mudra and Vayu Mudra can be done together.
Generally do not do any mudra immediately after meals. But after having food you can do Surya Mudra. Mudra can be performed immediately after meals only in case of emergency such as ear pain, stomach pain, vomiting etc.
Steps To Do Surya Mudra
Here’s how to perform the Surya Mudra:
- Sit comfortably in a meditation or yoga posture like Padmasana, Siddhasana, Swastikasana, Vajrasana, etc. are ideal for the practice of mudras.
- Place the hands with palm pointing upwards on the thighs or the knees.
- Keep your back straight and shoulders relaxed.
- Close your eyes and take some deep breaths with the awareness of the breathing process.
- Touch the tip of your ring finger to the base of your thumb.
- Gently press the thumb over the ring finger.
- Keep the other three fingers straight but relaxed.
- In addition, it should be done with both hands simultaneously.
- Perform this pose for 35 minutes at a stretch every day or for 10 to 12 minutes three times a day.
Benefits of Surya Mudra (Mudra of Sun)
- Practitioners suggest that the mudra can rejuvenate and re-energize the mind and body, providing a sense of vigor and vitality.
- The mudra is believed to increase the metabolic rate, which can aid digestion and help in weight management.while mudras are part of traditional practices, their effectiveness is subjective and may vary from person to person. They are often used as complementary techniques rather than standalone solutions for health issues.
- It may help in balancing emotions and reducing feelings of lethargy.
- The Surya Mudra is thought to stimulate the digestive fire, promoting better digestion and absorption of nutrients.
- Some believe that practicing this mudra can help regulate body temperature.
- Its regular practice awakens intuition in a person.
A Specialty of Surya Yoga Mudra
Fire is what spurs the digestive system – hence this mudra’s corresponding popularity for facilitating weight loss!
“Surya Mudra best knows as the Weight loss mudra”
To lose weight, some follows Yoga for weight loss and some go to the gym. If you don’t have enough time for these, try Surya Mudra for best benefits.
Surya Mudra can be practiced anytime while standing, sitting or even lying on the bed. This is also a great posture to have when you’re walking. You can chant a mantra or change the words silently. No specific time period for the currency. But this mudra should be done in the morning so that the energy of the sun can be absorbed in your body. Of course, all the mudras are very effective when you do them between 4-6 am in the morning. You can do this posture three times a day for 8 minutes to 25 minutes. For excellent, best and efficient results, make sure you practice regularly for two months.
Although there are many benefits of doing Surya Mudra, it is very important to take some precautions before doing it.
- Sun mudra should not be done when there is a weakness in the body.
- You can do this mudra only 3 times in a day for 15-15 minutes.
- Do not do it for a long time in the summer season and during the summer, a little water should be drunk before doing the sun mudra.
While mudras are part of traditional practices, their effectiveness is subjective and may vary from person to person. They are often used as complementary techniques rather than standalone solutions for health issues.
Feb 16, 2024
Suchi Mudra (Mudra to Relieve Constipation): Steps, Benefits & More
Suchi mudra is a yoga mudra that involves the stretching of the index finger, and it is believed to have[...]
Feb 15, 2024
Rudra Mudra (The Gesture of Strength): Steps, Benefits & More
Rudra Mudra is a yoga or handstand posture, which is associated with the solar plexus or third chakra. It has[...]
Feb 13, 2024
Apana Mudra: Steps, Benefits & More
According to Ayurveda – Yoga mudras have special significance, Hand Mudras are considered healing hand techniques for curing many diseases.[...]