Five elements are present in the human body – air, water, fire, earth, and sky. In ancient times, sages used to do yoga postures to balance the five elements present inside the body. In the five fingers of the hand, the Vayu Mudra and Gyan Mudra are done with the index finger, the Jala Mudra with the little finger, the Earth and the Surya Mudra with the Anamika finger and the Akash Mudra (space) with the middle finger, and the Agni mudra with the thumb. This is the reason why people still practice yoga mudras.
In hatha yoga, mudras are used in combination with meditation and pranayama (yogic breathing exercises). usually mudra is a sitting posture, to stimulate various parts of the body associated with breathing and affect the flow of prana. Although there are hundreds of types of yoga mudras, different yoga mudra are practiced to remove different diseases present in the body.
Some mudras are comfortable for practice. Just by touching the hands with the fingers, we can influence our instincts, thinking and health. One such beneficial mudra is Surya Mudra. Surya mudra has great importance in yoga.
So let’s know what is the benefit of Surya Mudra and how to do it.
Surya Mudra And Why it is Important
As mentioned above, Surya mudra has great importance in yoga. Its a hand yogic gesture that increases the fire element in the human body. Hence, people also call Surya Mudra as the fire or Agni mudra.
The word Surya comes from the Sanskrit. there Surya means “sun” and mudra means “gesture.”
According to Ayurveda, Surya mudra is associated with the sun. Sun is considered a symbol of health and energy.
Surya Mudra is opposite to Earth Mudra. By performing Surya Mudra, the fire elements of the human body are governed. And the excess of earth element ends. That’s why this mudra is also known as Agni Vardhak mudra.
The finger of the sun is the Anamika finger, also called the ring finger. this finger is related to the Sun and Uranus planets. The Sun represents energy and health. Uranus is a symbol of intuition, sexuality, and change.
If two-three mudras are required simultaneously and there is a lack of time, then two mudras can also be put together. Like- Surya Mudra and Vayu Mudra can be done simultaneously.
Do not usually apply any mudras immediately after a meal. But after taking food, you can apply Surya Mudra. Only in an emergency situation, mudras can it be made immediately after meals such as ear pain, stomach pain, vomiting, etc.
Steps to do Surya Mudra (Mudra of Sun)
This Mudra is associated with a happy and healthy life. it is a yogic hand gesture that is one of the easiest mudras to perform in yoga. The ring finger is the symbol of the earth element that takes care of the earth element in the body. It can be done anytime and anywhere. There are some simple steps which will explain how to do this Surya Hasta Mudra:
- First of all, sit in any comfortable seating posture and place the hands with palm pointing upwards on the thighs or the knees.
- Meditation postures like Padmasana, Siddhasana, Swastikasana, Vajrasana, etc. are ideal for the practice of mudras.
- Close your eyes and take some deep breaths with the awareness of the breathing process.
- Now fold your ring finger and press it with your thumb. You may feel some pain. But that does not last long.
- Put the ring finger of your hand in the root of the thumb.
- The rest of the three fingers should be kept extended as much as possible.
- In addition, it should be done with both hands simultaneously.
- Perform this pose for 35 minutes at a stretch every day or for 10 to 12 minutes three times a day.
It is not necessary for doing this at an empty stomach. You may also practice this mudra with a full stomach. This mudra also practices in a standing, sitting or lying down posture.
Benefits of Surya Mudra (Mudra of Sun)
- Mudra of Sun is a wonderfully applicable mudra. that the heat of the sun provides. It provides energy and makes us fit.
- Practicing Surya mudra twice a day for 20 minutes lowers cholesterol levels.
- This yoga mudra is not less than a boon for you. If you are also troubled by being overweight due to being obese then Surya Mudra is very beneficial for you.
- This mudra also increases the fire element in the body.
- Thyroid diseases are cured by pressing this pressure from the ring finger in the palm at the central point of the thyroid gland.
- It has a profound effect on our body, soul, and mind, it keeps you healthy and also prolongs your age.
- It also controls the amount of urea in the blood. And also avoids the disease of diabetes.
- Generally, Surya Mudra is very beneficial for women who gain weight after delivery.
- This mudra also removes the swelling of the body.
- The fire element of Surya Mudra enhances digestive power and helps in reducing cholesterol.
- It acts as an energy booster.
- This mudra accelerates metabolism in your body. Which helps reduce cholesterol.
- This mudra brings peace to the mind and keeps it focused and sharpen.
- Its regular practice awakens intuition in a person.
A Specialty of Surya Yoga Mudra
Fire is what spurs the digestive system – hence this mudra’s corresponding popularity for facilitating weight loss!
“Surya Mudra best knows as the Weight loss mudra”
To lose weight, one follows Yoga for weight loss, then one goes to the gym. If you do not have enough time for these, then try the sun mudra for the best benefits.
Mudra of the sun also practices in a standing, sitting or lying down on a bed whenever. This is also a great mudra to do as you are walking. You can chant a mantra or switch words silently. No particular time duration for the mudra. But this mudra should be done in the morning so that the energy of the sun can be absorbed into your body. Of course, All mudra is very effective when you do the mudras between 4-6 AM. You can do this mudra three times a day for 8 minutes to 25 minutes. To an excellent, the best and efficient results, make sure you practice regularly for two months.
There should be an interval of at least one hour in doing Surya Mudra every once in a while.
Although there are many benefits of doing Surya Mudra, it is very important to take some precautions before doing it.
- Sun mudra should not be done when there is a weakness in the body.
- You can do this mudra only 3 times in a day for 15-15 minutes.
- Do not do it for a long time in the summer season and during the summer, a little water should be drunk before doing the sun mudra.