Vipassana means to watch things as they actually are. It is one of India’s earliest techniques of meditation. This technique was taught in India many years ago as a universal solution for universal ills. This vipassana meditation is known as the art of living. It is a non-religious technique intended for the complete eradication of mental impurities. It also aims for the resulting highest happiness of full liberation.
There are various styles of meditation. But the difference between Vipassana and other styles of meditation is vital and it requires to be totally understood. There are two main styles of meditation in Buddhism. They are distinct mental skills, modes of working or qualities of consciousness. In Pali, the previous language of Theravada literature is known as Vipassana and Samatha.
The term Vipassana can be translated as insight. This means a clear understanding of exactly what is happening as it happens. The term Samatha can be translated as concentration or serenity. This is the condition in which the mind is carried to rest. It focused just on one thing and not allowed to wander. When this thing is done, a deep calm permeates body and mind. It is the state of peacefulness which must be experienced to be understood.
Vipassana is a technique of self-transformation through self-surveillance. It concentrates on the deep interconnection between mind and body. This can be experienced directly by regular attention to the physical sense that forms the life of the body. This is also constantly interconnected and conditions the life of the mind. It is this observation-based, self-examining journey to the usual route of mind and body. It disperses mental impurity, resultant in a composed mind full of love and compassion.
Also, maximum systems of meditation give emphasis to the Samatha component. The mediator concentrates his mind upon some things like prayer, a chant, a candle flame, and much more. He ignores all other thoughts and perceptions from his consciousness. The outcome is a state of bliss which persists until the mediator finishes the session of sitting. It is beautiful, pleasant, meaningful, and much more.
Vipassana is the soothing technique. But it is also very in-depth. It is the codified system to train your mind. This is a set of exercises committed to becoming more conscious of your own life experience. It is focused listening, attentive seeing, and careful testing. This is the simple technique does not appeal the help of God, soul or any other outside power. This relies on your own efforts. The aim of Vipassana meditation practice is to learn to observe the fact of temporariness, satisfactoriness, and self-sacrifice of phenomena.
There are some aspects for practicing the Vipassana. There are some particular techniques to do it. You should know them.
How to do Vipassana Meditation Techniques?
- The first step you necessitate to take while doing Vipassana is to sit down comfortably on a chair or the ground. You can sit in Sukhasana. Lengthen your spine and let the energy to flow. Also, lengthen the neck and tuck it down towards the chest. In this way, a beginner should start their meditation.
- Begin from your head. Then observe your breathing for only some seconds. After some time, you can start off scanning the neck portion. From there, you should turn to your right shoulder, hands, and back. When you are done with that, and then start off scanning the front and back of your upper body. Together with this, you can persist with the rest of your body. Ensure you finish where you started.
- In Vipassana meditation, it is essential for you to observe every single thing. Every irritation, pain, and numbness you feel, should not be averted. There is no sense that is less or more essential. All those sensations are worth noting. Hence, ensure you develop a good sense of observation.
- Whilst you are scanning each part of your body, ensure you are not jumping from one to the other. This is because every single part of your body does not respond the same way. There are certain parts where you may get simple sensations and in some other parts, it may get stronger.
- One most important thing for doing Vipassana attentively is doing it continuously. You should not get discouraged by any temporary setbacks. With each small step, you will be able to get calmness, peace, and tranquility. You should not be very overwhelmed by sensations.
9 Benefits of Vipassana Meditation:
Vipassana works distinctly for every individual. When you do the Vipassana meditation, you ultimately stop suffering due to any kind of misfortune whether it is small or big. So there are numerous benefits of Vipassana meditation. They are as follows:
- Vipassana brings some personality to understand the truth, theoretically as well as practically. It helps on a deeper level, for the quick understanding of the mind, matter, and much more as they really are.
- It gives the mind stronger impetus, effort, patience, and happiness than before.
- It helps you understand the behavior and responses of other persons in a better way. It will make you understand the reason behind their mood and intermingle with them in a manner that is helpful to them.
- Vipassana will soak you with knowledge. This will help you communicate better and listen carefully rather than reacting instantly and needlessly.
- It improves memory, allowing some people to remember things well. Due to this you will not forget or get confused about the things that one has committed to memory.
- You become more tolerant and start to look at life positively
- Your attachment to worldly issues decreases and you learn to see life beyond that.
- It causes persons to reunite, due to a lessening of their respective egos and viewpoints allowing them to live together in harmony and peace.
- It brings persons to know themselves by making them understand how to maintain themselves on every occasion.
With this information, you will understand the significance of Vipassana. This is very useful for everyone.
Apr 19, 2021
Visualization Meditation | Steps | Benefits
Visualization Meditation is nothing much different. In each article, I keep telling about the benefits of meditation for a happy[...]
Apr 19, 2021
Vedic Meditation | Transcendental Steps | Benefits
Vedic Meditation famously called Transcendental Meditation (TM) alludes to a particular type of silent mantra Practice. There are enormous types[...]
Apr 19, 2021
Primordial Sound Meditation | Steps | Benefits
Meditation has been in our practices for thousands of years though Primordial Sound Meditation is least heard commonly. Primordial Sound[...]