Yoga not only involves postures but Mudras also play an important role. According to Ayurveda, every yoga pose is unique whether Vayu mudra, Agni mudra, Prithvi Mudra, Gyan mudra or Shunya mudra, Varun mudra and any other. There is a deep secret hidden in every yoga Mudra. In ancient times, the sages used to perform yoga mudras to keep the five elements inside the body balanced with air, water, fire, earth, and sky. When these five elements are imbalanced, a person is gripped by diseases. Our fingers have the characteristic of these elements and each of these five elements has a specific and important function inside the body. This is the reason why people still practice yoga posture.
The use of mudra adjusts the flow of energy – affecting the balance of air, fire, water, earth, ether
Usually, the five elements found in the body are mentioned only with the fingers. hence, hand yoga mudra is more popular. Mudra is a yogic hand gesture, mostly used in meditation or in pranayama practice to direct the flow of energy within the body by using the hands.
Here we give a detail explanation about the Prithvi mudra and why it is important, benefits of Prithvi mudra and how to do and side effects also.
Prithvi Mudra and Why it is Important
Prithvi mudra is also very important in hand gestures. The ring finger represents the earth’s elements. Earth is called Prithvi. Earth is considered as one of the elements within the human body. Hence, that hand gesture made with a ring finger or Anamika finger known as Prithvi Mudra.
A Sanskrit term, Prithvi means “the vast one” and known as Earth; mudra means “gesture,” “mark” or “seal.”
In this mudra, the tips of the ring fingers joining with the tips of thumb. The ring finger represents the Earth element, whereas the thumb represents the Fire element.
This mudra increases the Prithvi (earth) element within the body. At the same time, it decreases the Agni (fire) element within the body. Therefore, it can also be called Agni Shaamak Mudra. Prithvi mudras are beneficial for healing and promoting spiritual balance in the body.
In other words, the Earth element is a vital component of bones, cartilage, skin, hair, nails, muscles, tendons, internal organs, etc. It builds and invigorates these tissues. The Earth element is also associated with the nose. Therefore, it can be used to overcome nasal disorders.
Apart from this, It’s known as Agni-Shaamak mudra that reduces fire and disorders of Agni-excess like emaciation, fever, inflammation.
Steps to do Prithvi Mudra (Mudra of Earth)
Mudra of the earth is associated with the nose that performing together with deep breathing and meditation asanas. It is a yogic hand gesture that is performed by the ring finger. The ring finger is the symbol of the Earth element that takes care of the skin, hair, nails, muscles, tendons, internal organs, elements in the body. and the thumb is the symbol of the fire element. When these two elements combine, the earth element increases in a human’s body. It can be done anytime and anywhere. There are some simple steps that will explain how to do this Prithvi Hasta Mudra.
- First of all, sit in any comfortable seating posture and place the hands with palm pointing upwards on the thighs or the knees.
- Meditation postures like Padmasana, Siddhasana, Swastikasana, Vajrasana, etc. are ideal for the practice of mudras.
- Close your eyes and take some deep breaths with the awareness of the breathing process.
- Now fold your ring finger and tap the tip of the ring finger to the tip of the thumb.
- The rest of the three fingers should be kept extended as much as possible.
- Removing all thoughts from the mind has to focus the mind only on OM.
- In addition, it should be done with both hands simultaneously.
- Do not decrease or increase the speed of breath from your side.
- Perform this pose for 35 minutes at a stretch every day or for 10 to 12 minutes three times a day.
You can practice Prithi Mudra by standing in Tadasana Yoga (Mountain pose), otherwise sitting on a chair.
This mudra is beneficial for the body in many ways, it helps in curing various types of diseases, let us know the benefits of Prithvi mudra in detail.
Benefits Of Prithvi Mudra (Mudra of Earth)
- Prithvi Mudra is the just opposite of Agni Mudra, Agni Mudra helps in reducing weight by generating heat in the body while Prithvi Mudra helps in increasing the weight of the body. Those who are low in weight and those who want to gain weight, practice the Prithvi mudra posture daily.
- This mudra also improves body strength.
- It is famously known for increases the Prithvi (earth) element within the body. and the earth element is a vital component of bodily tissues like bones, cartilage, skin, hair, nails, flesh, muscles, tendons, internal organs, etc.
- The Earth mudra or element is also associated with the nose. Therefore, it can be used to overcome nasal disorders. And also used to overcome disorders caused by Kapha deficiency.
- This mudra increases the Earth element in the body, which increases the immunity of the body, which fights various types of diseases.
- Mudra of Earth increases the lack of stamina or endurance.
- This mudra helps in the regeneration of hair by the fixed pressure of the ring finger.
- Prithvi Mudra is also beneficial for those are suffering from ulcers.
- By doing Prithvi mudra, weakness, and weakness in the body are removed. Also, the skin of the face becomes clean and shiny.
This mudra also practices in a standing, sitting or lying down on a bed whenever. You can chant a mantra or switch words silently. No particular time duration for this mudra. Of course, All mudra is very effective when you do the mudras between 4-6 AM. To an excellent, the best and efficient results, make sure you practice regularly for two months.
However, all mudras are beneficial to us without any side-effects. But no pressure should be applied on the finger. Pressure means, your mind is restless and not stable. As a result, nothing at all. Perform this mudra freely.