Argan oil has gained popularity in the beauty industry due to its numerous benefits for hair health. It is rich in essential fatty acids, antioxidants, and vitamins, making it a valuable addition to hair care routines. The regular use of argan oil for hair can help reduce frizz, improve shine, prevent breakage, as well as protect the hair from heat and environmental damage.
What is argan oil?
Argan oil has a distinctive golden-yellow color, resembling the hue of actual gold, which contributes to its nickname.
It is made from the kernels of the fruit of the argan tree in Morocco. The fruit of the argan tree is green and fleshy, and inside it, there is a hard nut. The nut contains one to three oil-rich kernels, which are used to produce argan oil.
The process involves cracking open the nut, removing the kernels, and then cold-pressing or grinding them to extract the oil.
Pure argan oil has been used for centuries for various cosmetic and medicinal purposes. The Berber people of Morocco have been using argan oil for cooking due to its numerous beneficial properties.
Today, argan oil is a common component in various cosmetic and hair care products due to its nourishing and restorative properties.
Here are some historical uses of argan oil:
- Medicinal Uses
- Culinary Use
How is it supposed to benefit your hair?
Here are some of the key benefits of argan oil for hair:
Argan oil contains essential fatty acids, such as oleic acid (omega-9) and linoleic acid (omega-6), which are crucial for maintaining healthy hair.
As a potent antioxidant, vitamin E helps protect the scalp and hair from oxidative stress caused by free radicals and promotes healthier hair growth & shine.
The combination of fatty acids and antioxidants in argan oil can help soothe and nourish the scalp, reducing irritation, itchiness, and inflammation.
Regular use of argan oil can improve the texture and shine of the hair, making it look healthier and scalp health may prevent hair breakage and hair loss.
Antioxidants like Vitamin E protect hair from damage caused by environmental factors, such as UV rays and free radicals from the sun.
How to use argan oil for hair
Argan oil offers numerous benefits for your hair, and there are various ways to incorporate it into your hair care routine. Here are some of the different ways to use argan oil for hair:
Argan oil hair mask
The hair mask is a simple and effective way to provide your hair with deep nourishment and hydration.
In a bowl, mix a few tablespoons of argan oil with honey, yogurt, or coconut oil and continue stirring until you have a smooth, consistent hair mask.
- Apply the hair mask evenly to your hair, from the roots to the ends.
- Gently massage the mask into your scalp to promote circulation.
- After that gather your hair and secure it in a bun or wrap it in a shower cap to contain the mask.
- Leave the hair mask on for about 30 minutes to one hour and then rinse the hair mask out thoroughly with lukewarm water.
This is a great way to provide your hair with continuous hydration and nourishment throughout the day.
- Wash your hair with a gentle shampoo and conditioner that is suitable for your hair type.
- Gently pat your hair dry with a towel so that it’s not dripping.
- Rub some argan oil in the palm of your hand and apply it to your hair. The amount will depend on the length and thickness of your hair.
- You can let your hair air-dry or proceed with your preferred styling as usual.
- Do this twice a week.
- Wet your hair thoroughly.
- Pour a small amount of the usual shampoo into your palm and Add one or two drops of argan oil.
- Rub your hands together until it’s mixed.
- Apply the shampoo to your scalp and hair, gently massaging it to create a lather.
- Rinse your hair thoroughly with water.
- Follow with a conditioner if needed.
- After styling your hair, take a tiny amount of argan oil and rub it between your palms.
- Gently run your palms over your hair, focusing on areas with frizz or flyaways.
- This will help add shine, tame flyaways, and give your hair a polished finish.
Potential side effects and risks
Diluted argan oil is generally considered safe to use topically. It is well-tolerated by many people, whereas those who have sensitive skin may be more likely to experience itchiness, allergic reactions, or other irritation.
Before using argan oil, it’s essential to perform a patch test.
Be cautious to avoid getting argan oil in your eyes. If contact occurs, rinse thoroughly with water.
Choose high-quality, pure, and organic argan oil without added chemicals for the best results.
Argan oil’s versatility allows it to be used in various hair care routines and is suitable for all hair types.
By using diluted argan oil, you can enjoy its potential benefits for your skin and hair. It’s best to start with a small amount and adjust as needed.
Incorporating argan oil into your hair care routine regularly can lead to healthier, more manageable, and shinier hair.
Jul 31, 2023
What Are Essential Oils And Their Benefits For Health
Essential oils have been used for various purposes in alternative medicine and traditional healing practices for a long time. Many[...]
Jul 26, 2023
How To Use Essential Oils For Sinus Infection & Congestion
Many of the claims regarding essential oils' benefits for sinus congestion are based on anecdotal evidence and traditional use rather[...]
Jul 25, 2023
What Causes Large Nose Pores And How To Clean & Unclog Them
Enlarged nose pores can give the skin a rough and uneven appearance. When these pores are clogged with sebum, dead[...]