Every yoga helps develop the mind and body and bringing a lot of benefits. yet is not a substitute for medicine. There is numerous yoga posture practiced by all age people of different and difficulty level. The one to be discussed now is a relatively complex posture which is Skandasana.
Skandasana is derived from the combination of the Sanskrit words. that means something is Hinduism, was made popular by Shiva Rhea. It is known as side lung pose in English. It is a great stretch your hips, adductors, and hamstring and helps to build your core strength and also prepare your hips for poses like Goddess and Garland.
Skandasana (Side lung Pose)is commonly found in the Hip opening yoga sequences and yoga for feet and ankles. It activates the second chakra, Svadisthana, which is the source of pleasure and creativity. That activate and balance the Sacral Chakra (Swadisthana Chakra) and Root Chakra (Muladhara Chakra).
When you first attempted Skandasana may be difficult. however with a little practice in a matter of days, one can master this asana.
How To Do Skandasana (Side Lung Pose)
- Being set with bend your both knee into a half-squat and wide leg forward bend.
- Your palms to the floor by touching the ground with your fingertips only. If this isn’t accessible to you, rest your fingertips on a block or take a slight bend in your knees.
- Fingertips should be pointing forward.
- Bend your right knee and keep your left leg straight and flex your foot so that your toes leave the ground and point up towards the ceiling. and lifting the gaze.
- Now you have many options for arm variations.
- Put your hands on the floor to support the body balance. and allow the hands in Anjali Mudra, Prayer Pose or Reverse Prayer. Put your right hand on the right foot and the left hand trying to touch the left foot. and Sweep hands along the floor in direction of the flexed foot
- Maintain this final position for 20 to 40 seconds. then change the other side.
Benefits Of Skandasana (Side Lung Pose)
- Skandasana (Side Lung Pose) stretches the inner and outer leg, as well as the Knees.
- The most benefits improved range of motion and circulation and decreased back pain.
- It is also beneficial to creativity because it activates the second chakra.
- It also Improves sense of balance and release across the board to many practitioners.
- Opening the hips gives us access to freedom in the body muscles, thigh muscles known as the adductors, and deep lateral rotators in back.
- Skandasana also improves unique expression — creatively, physically, sexually, and spiritually.
According to the experts, this asana is considered best when yogi practiced early in the morning. Mornings are preferred as the food is digested as well as the body has the energy to perform the asana. due to some reason, you cannot practice it in the morning, you can practice this asana in the evening as well. but at least keep 3-5 hour gap between your practice and meal.
- Do not practice Skandasana if you suffering from any injury in hamstrings or in the groin area.
- Do not overstretch your body while doing Side lung pose. Only go as far as your body allows.
- Do not practice if you have had any hip surgeries.
- Always use the yoga mat or blankets before doing yoga because The mats or blankets often act as an insulator between the earth and the body.