Cherimoya is a cone-shaped, sweet, pulpy, and fragrant rich fruit with leathery skin. The fruit is also known as custard apple due to its creamy texture and sweet flesh taste. Not only it is packed with nutrients, but there are some serious health benefits of Cherimoya — similar to an exotic, tropical taste — and taste also similar to other tropical fruits, such as banana and pineapple.
Scientific name: Annona cherimola.
They are derived from the Annonaceae family of evergreen trees, which are in the genus Annona. It originated in the Andes mountains of South America, that is why this fruit is also called “Pearl of the Andes”.
Cherimoya Fruit Nutrition Facts
Cherimoya is high in calories but has an incredibly impressive nutrient profile.
One cup (100 grams) of fresh, raw cherimoya contains the following: (study)
- Calories: 75
- Fat: 0.7g
- Sodium: 7mg
- Carbohydrates: 17.7g
- Sugars: 13g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 1.6g
Cherimoya provides a few amounts of protein but is high in antioxidant compounds — including kaurenoic acid, flavonoids, carotenoids, and vitamin C — has particularly powerful effects.
Additionally, the nutrients above, cherimoya fruit also contains some potassium, phosphorus, and B-complex vitamins, especially vitamin B-6 (pyridoxine).
Health benefits of Cherimoya
- Cherimoya contains several essential nutrients, vitamins, antioxidants, and minerals that provides a variety of health benefits.
- Cherimoyas fruit is rich in vitamin C — is a powerful natural antioxidant, that contains 60% of your recommended daily intake. Vitamin-C help to healthy immune system and scavenge harmful free radicals.
- Cherimoya or Custard Apple is rich in many antioxidants. Among them, the most prominent are carotenoid antioxidant. These Antioxidants ahave been found to destroy free radicals present in the body.
- Additionally, they are contains catechin and epicatechin, flavonoid antioxidants that help the body protect from inflammatory effects.
- Cherimoya fruit, like other tropical fruits such as Banana, strawberry, and pineapple, is high in energy, minerals, and vitamins. 100 g fresh fruit pulp carries 75 calories- that is equivalent to mangoes.
- It also contains good amounts of B-complex vitamins, especially vitamin B-6 (pyridoxine). In fact, 100 g fresh fruit pulp carries 24% of the Reference Daily Intake (RDI) – that is contribute to mood disorders.
- Cherimoya is rich in the carotenoid antioxidant lutein, it may help to support eye health. It’s known to improve vision by fighting free radicals. Lutein may also help reduce eye fatigue and cataracts.
- Furthermore, they are also well balanced sodium-potassium ratio.
- Cherimoya is good in minerals such as potassium and magnesium — can effectively reduce bone loss in older women.
Cherimoya — also known as custard apple — loaded with beneficial nutrients that can be a great addition to a nutrient-dense.
However, its skin and seeds should not be included in the consumption of cherimoya. They contain some toxic compounds, that may damage the nervous system.
Sep 26, 2021
What Are The Benefits Of Tamarind Fruit On Health
You must have eaten tamarind a lot in childhood and you may still eat it, but have you ever tried[...]
Sep 20, 2021
Nutrition Facts And Health Benefits of Jujube Fruit (Ber)
Not only jujube fruits, their tree leaves, bark, and gum all have long been used in alternative medicine. According to[...]
Sep 17, 2021
The Health Benefits of Goji Berries And Its Nutrition Facts
Goji Berry is also known as Wolf Berries in China - are festive tiny red berries that have a sweet,[...]