Yoga has many benefits and among those is mental and spiritual awakening. It puts the practitioner in a surreal state which makes him connected to the surrounding and the spiritual world. There are many practices in Yoga that help in attaining awakening and relaxation, among those one is Yoga Nidra.
It is true that sleeping is also necessary for staying healthy. But there is also a sleep in which you do not sleep completely. In this, you are in the middle of sleeping and waking up. This nidra is named “Yoga Nidra”.
Yoga Nidra which is also known as Yogic Sleep is a potent and powerful relaxation method that a person can do when he has to gain control over his relaxation response. If this practice is done right, it can be restorative as sleep while the body remains fully conscious. If the person fails to practice it successfully, then he might fall asleep which is also a restorative as successfully done Yoga Nidra.
Yoga Nidra – The yogic power nap
Yoga Nidra is a type of spiritual sleep also known as “yogic sleep” or “easy relaxation”. Usually, in this sleep a person sleeps but all his senses remain in the waking state, it can be understood as “sleeping while awake”, the state between sleep and wakefulness is called Yoga Nidra. It can be considered as a state between dream and awakening. It is like a nap, in which one is in a subconscious state, where our body finds its natural state of balance (homeostasis). The gods sleep in this sleep, such a belief is in the Puranas.
During the state of Yoga Nidra, a person conserves new energy within himself while relaxing his body and mind.
The artificial sleep or hypnosis that is achieved by exerting the effect of one’s spiritual power on others or by exerting the effect of that power on oneself, is called Yoga Nidra in yoga philosophy. This Yoga Nidra has special benefits in the life of the seeker, as his memory power increases, he becomes completely successful in elevating his life. And his life itself becomes very balanced and great.
It is a practice that prepares the body for meditation and pranayama.
Mentioned below are two methods to do Yoga Nidra.
Sleep Yoga Nidra Method 1
- First, you require a recording of someone who is reading aloud the instructions of Yoga Nidra. In order to induce Yoga Nidra, one must listen to the given set of instructions just like a guided meditation. One can also listen to a friend who is reading the instructions, but the best way is to listen to a recording of someone or yourself which is considered more practical. A good recording should be soft as well as have a soothing feel along with being clear. Many practitioners tend to prefer female recordings, but it is not necessary, and you can always find various male recordings if that works perfectly fine for you.
- The second step is to prepare blankets which should be a soft yoga mat or any other comfortable surface which is meant for sitting or lying on. For Yoga Nidra to be an absolute success, you need to be as much comfortable as you can be. In case you own a memory foam mattress or mat then that is the best thing to use. If it is not the case, you can use any pillows or mats that work for you. Some people often prefer to elevate their feet or sometimes their heads.
- Now you need to prepare comforts like incense, a candle, etc. You don’t wish to be breathing in toxic fumes, any kind of artificial fragrances, or any bad smells when you are practicing yoga. Scents can essentially be directed specifically towards the encouragement of emotional reactions. Some of them may foster tranquillity, which also calms the nervous system while others can promote a sense of happiness, joy as well as energy.
- You should always wear loose clothing. You will definitely want clothing that is comfortable for you and you can breathe easily. This can assist you in avoiding any unsuccessful attempts if you are not comfortable. You don’t have to buy or wear any specific yoga clothes, as you require just loose as well as breathable clothes.
- Now you require to warm up with Sun Salutations, also known as Surya Namaskar. Doing a few rounds of these sun salutations can effectively make and prepare your muscles as well as your mind to practice yoga. If this yoga doesn’t relax you, then you can try learning and doing a few yoga asanas. There is a wide range of yoga poses also known as asanas, which one can practice and most of them range from being simple and relaxing to difficult as well as strenuous.
- Make sure that you make the room as quiet as you can. In order to attain a full concentration of mind, the room must be silent. However, in these busy times of today, it might seem to be impossible. Instead of focusing on just making the room silent, you should focus on making the room as quiet as possible.
Yoga Nidra Method 2
Yoga Nidra Practice
- First, you need to lie flat on the back along with arms stretched outwards by your sides or do it what feels more comfortable. It is also an option if you choose to sit in an easy and comfortable position, but few people have found that this particular position tends to be unsuccessful. Now position the head wherever it feels more comfortable to you.
- Now close your ease and then relax your eyelids. Let them simply lie on the eyeballs or not.
- Start taking a couple of deep breaths while emphasizing exhalation. Breathe in via your nostrils while gradually filling up your lungs with air and then exhaling through your mouth. Now try to inhale as well as exhale on a count of 10 seconds.
- When the voice recording dictates you, then rotate and visualize that particular body part which is called. Focus on that particular body part and don’t allow your mind to get distracted by any other thing.
- Repeat the above-mentioned step 4 until you have successfully rotated as well as visualized all of your body parts. You will now feel completely relaxed and also feel that all the tension is gone.
- The next step is to get aware of your body as a whole. As you did with every part of your body, now try to visualize the entire body of yours just as it is lying down. For a few people, it generally helps to visualize an aura that is glowing around them.
- Now you have to prepare to return to your ordinary consciousness. Move on to gently moving your fingers for just a few moments and then take a deep breath, followed by opening your eyes. Expect that you will come out of Yogic Sleep in a natural way whether you return even after 15 minutes or for a whole hour.
- Move on to returning to your sitting position. Do not get up instantly or try to rouse yourself aggressively. Simple sit in the criss-cross position or if you are more advanced in yogic practices then try to sit in the lotus position.
- In case you want to continue or you have enough time then you can finish up with some other asanas. This will also help your body to get fully awake and take your body completely out of the Yogic sleep.
With the above-mentioned steps, you can do Yogic Sleep with effectiveness. You will definitely find various benefits in doing this practice. It will make you relax and feel more spiritually awake. It will surely help you attain comfort and peace of mind.
The Benefits of Yoga Nidra
By doing yoga Nidra, energy is preserved in your body, it helps your body to fight against various types of diseases and keeps you disease-free. Let us know what benefits you get by doing yoga Nidra.
- Take Yoga Nidra and stay fresh all day. For those who want the body, it has to start from here. Ordinarily, effortless relaxation is required by yoga Nidra after any yoga order. This Yogasana warms the body, calms the mind, and relaxes at normal temperature.
- yoga Nidra is not only for physical or mental relaxation but also for preparing the mind for yogic discipline. (study)
- Researches also indicate that Yoga Nidra can be used as a therapeutic technique to cure psychological disorders like anxiety, asthma, hostility, insomnia, cancer, hypertension, etc. It is a successful therapy. (study)
- If yoga Nidra is practiced regularly then it can help us in reducing stress. According to one study, women and men had more stress. advised to do Yoga Nidra during the study.
- Recent studies show that Yoga Nidra is beneficial for women along with providing general physical benefits. It can help reduce problems related to menstruation in women. Pain, stress, or depression-related problems in women during menstruation are easily overcome. (study)
- People who have problems related to sleep can benefit by practicing yoga sleep.
- Players also take Yoga Nidra to win in the field games.
- Yoga Nidra for sleep helps in the treatment of insomnia.
Yoga Nidra Precautions
Although there is no need to take any more precautions to do yoga Nidra,
Any person can do this asana.
But while doing this asana, keep in mind that your mind is completely calm and no thoughts arise in it during the process of yoga Nidra.
Yoga Nidra is an ancient technique in which the yogi discovers himself. In this state, the yogi is neither conscious nor asleep.
Through the practice of Yoga Nidra, efforts are made to bring the desired body and mind into a state of relaxation. In this method, the seeker gives instructions to himself. Through this practice, while experiencing the state of desire, he gradually begins to gain control over those physical and mental actions and reactions, which till now were considered unwanted or involuntary.
Nov 09, 2022
Donkey Kicks Yoga Pose – The Best For Beginners
The traditional execution of the Donkey kicks exercise is the best for beginners. This move targets and tightens your rear[...]
Nov 08, 2022
Yoga For Calves Fat: Lower Body Yoga Excercise
Yoga counts as more physical activity, especially doing yoga for weight loss is a great way, your best bet when[...]
Nov 05, 2022
Balancing Yoga Poses For Beginners
Balancing yoga asanas or balancing yoga postures is a pose in which you balance on one leg, or balance using[...]