In Yoga, the moon has great symbolism. The sun along with the moon, are the representations of two polar energies of the anatomy of the humans. In fact, we call the Hatha Yoga, with the syllable “Ha” which represents the solar energies while the “tha” represents lunar energies. The Ardha Chandrasana or the Half Moon pose which is derived from Sanskrit words of Ardha is sanskrit word those meaning Half, Chandra meaning Moon and Asana meaning pose. This asana is one of the Hatha yoga asanas which is said to help in channelizing the lunar energies of the body.
As explained earlier, Chandra essentially means Moon in Sanskrit and this particular word resonates with the brilliance of the moon. This particular pose looks like a half moon’s flat edge as the torso while the lifted leg essentially draws a line. In this pose, the energy presented in the standing leg as well as the extended arm is supposed to radiate like the moon’s brilliance.
Half Moon pose asana can be quite disorienting, but when it is practised regularly, it essentially helps in making the person more aware as well as cultivate the balance in the person. It is quite hard to actually “radiate out” in this particular pose which also needs balancing. But if the person concentrates on this asana, as well as focus on the creation of stability through the tailbone, standing leg along with shoulder blades, the foundation can be quite strong, and it will allow you to extend as well as expand.
This asana should be practiced when you have an empty stomach. You must need to take note that you have your meals at least three to five hours before practising this pose so that the food gets digested and the energy gets ready to be expanded. Also, you have to ensure that the bowels should be empty before you try this pose. This yoga must be practised at dusk or dawn for best results.
Steps to Do Ardha Chandrasana
- First, you need to start with the pose named Trikonasana on the right. You should place the left hand on left hip. While inhaling, you need to bend the right knee and then displace the same foot nearly 10 inches forward. While doing so, move the right hand forward and then place it right beyond the right foot’s toes.
- Now you need to exhale and then move the right hand down to the floor and press it down. After doing so, straighten your right leg. While doing so, lift the left leg and take it off the floor. Ensure that it is parallel to the floor. You need to find balance and also maintain the left leg strong. Make sure that you don’t lock your right knee. Also, ensure that the kneecap is straight as well as not aligned inwards.
- Now you need to twist the upper torso towards the left direction and then move the left hip a little forward. Now place your left hand on to your left hip. Also, keep the head in a neutral position while you gaze forward.
- Now move the bodyweight on the leg on which you are standing. Make sure that the lower hand is pressed to the floor in a fashion that it assist you in maintaining the balance. Also, ensure that you firmly push the sacrum and scapulas against the torso’s back.
- Hold this position for some time. And now release and then repeat the process on the other side.
Benefit of half moon pose
- If you practice this asana, it will help you in making your thighs, buttocks, ankles, abdomen as well as spine stronger.
- This asana also provides a good stretch to the hamstrings, chest, calves, shoulders, groin, and spine.
- This asana also assists in achieving balance and focus along with providing you with a greater and better sense of coordination.
- Half Moon pose is a great stress reliever.
- This asana helps in improving digestion.
- Half Moon pose helps the women in menstrual disorders along with leg pain.
- This asana also helps in easing the lower back problems.
- Supta Virasana
Things keep in mind for beginners
A half moon pose beginners will face problem touching hand floor. It’s recommend to use yoga blocks in starting.
This pose should be practice gradually till we will have our body flexible. leave immediately if you are feeling any pain.
Aug 06, 2022
Guided Home Yoga Equipment For Beginners
If you are willing to start yoga at home, you must first invest in a few important pieces of equipment[...]
Jul 07, 2022
7 Yoga Poses For Tight Hamstrings & To Improve Their Flexibility
Once your hamstrings are painfully tight, it can lead to very problems such as poor posture, lower back pain, tension[...]
Jun 18, 2022
Sarvangasana | Shoulder Stand Steps | Benefits
Sarvangasana or shoulder stand is a powerful inversion pose wherein the whole body is balanced on the shoulders, body weight[...]