Puppy pose is a hybrid pose as well as considered a warm-up yoga pose to prepare the body for more intense yoga poses. It is one of the easiest yoga poses. that helps to prepare the body for gentle variations of Balasana (Child’s pose) and Adho Mukha Svanasana (Downward Facing Dog). Also referred to as Melting Heart Pose, that
Puppy Pose is a great heart-opening asanas, also known as Uttana Shishosana. The word Uttana Shishosana comes from the sanskrit language. where Uttana means intense and Shisho means Puppy and the word asana means yoga posture. As the name suggests, this pose seems like a puppy taking stretch forward with its entire body. Another very common name of this asana is the Anahatasana, or Heart Chakra Pose, Half Dog Pose, Melting Heart Pose, because it stimulates that region of love, compassion, gratitude, and empathy.
Uttana Shishosana also opens the chest, stretch the upper back, spine, and shoulders; and practicing of this Yoga asana helps boost energy in the body,lengthens the spine and calms the mind.
Puppy Dog Pose helps to activate and balancing the some Chakra(s):
- Sacral Chakra (Swadisthana Chakra)
- Root Chakra (Muladhara Chakra)
- Heart Chakra (Anahata Chakra)
- Throat Chakra (Vishuddha Chakra)
Now, let’s learn- how to perform Uttana Shishosana yoga pose in a step by step explanation, along with the Benefits and Precaution attached to the pose.
How to do Uttana Shishosana (Puppy Pose)
- First come into Tabletop position, with your shoulders stacked over your wrists, your hips stacked over your knees, and your feet relaxed down.
- Second, exhale and walk your hands forward towards the top edge of your mat and your chest down toward the ground. and your forehead down to the ground. Make sure your hips and knees stay perpendicular.
- In this position Keep your arms active; don’t let your elbows and forearms touch the ground.
- Spread your fingers and pressing firmly onto the ground and Draw your shoulder onto your back and keep your hips upwards the ceiling.
- After that allow your neck to relax and breathe into your back, lengthening your spine in both directions.
- Hold this position for 5 to 10 breaths, then gently lift your forehead and walk your palms back toward your body to press up to Tabletop.
Benefits of Uttana Shishosana (Puppy Pose)
- Uttana Shishosana, improve the blood circulations, blood flows towards the chest and the shoulders, and blood work well in entire body.
- Uttana Shishosana is a great heart opener. while practicing this pose the chest opens up tightness around the shoulders and the forearms and back. and also improves the breathing capacity of the lungs.
- It gives deep stretch to the shoulders and the arms while also giving it the maximum relax.
- The lower back is extended upwards in Uttana Shishosana, this stretches is more beneficial for the hips and the hamstrings.
- Though Uttana Shishosana, if practices regularly the lower abdomen gets a great massage and Stomach muscles too gets activated while trying to take the hips upwards.
- Regular practicing of Puppy Pose is considered to be a great stress buster as well as calms the mind and the body.
- Here in Puppy pose either stress reliever or reduces tension.
- Puppy pose helps to reduce the fat, Thus, improves the digestion system.
- It reduces the symptoms of chronic stress, and insomnia.
- People with the Knee, neck injury and shoulder problems please avoid practicing this pose, or practice under the expert’s supervisions and doctor’s advice.
- if you find any pain or discomfort, please exit the pose and ask for the expert’s guidance and doctor’s advice.
If you are a beginner then it might be difficult for you to perform this yoga asana.
- You can protect your knees and lower back by placing a rolled-up blanket, towel between your thighs for a better performance of this asana.
- If you feel discomfort releasing your forehead to the floor. use a folded blanket or towel underneath your head for support.
- The chin can also be place to the floor.