Camel pose (Ustrasana) is an intermediate-level back-bending yoga asana. This yoga posture has qualities, that are worth praise, and its works quietly but brilliantly.
Uttrasana, such as back bending asana, has the power to focus on facing adversity, reset your response to physical challenges and stress.
Ustrasana is most known to open Anahata (Heart chakra) and Throat Chakra (Vishuddha Chakra). These Chakras are your energy center and credit for your sense of compassion. Camel is a more accessible yoga poses for flexibility and strength to the body while also helping to build confidence.
Now time to learn more about Ustrasana, aka Camel Pose, the benefits of Camel Pose, and contraindications, and modifications.
Quick Ustrasana Facts
Sanskrit name – Ustrasana
English name – Camel Pose
Pronunciation as – OO-str-AHS-uh-nuh
Meaning – Ustra means camel and Asana mean pose of yoga or posture.
Final position – the body looks like a Camel.
Type of Yoga – back-bending yoga
How to do Ustrasana (Camel Pose )
- To do Uttrasana, first, look at clean and comfortable places. After that, lay a simple mat.
- Now sit in Vajrasana position. Such as put your right leg under the right hip after kneading it with your knees. And after kneading the left leg from the knees, apply it below the left hip.
- Now, slowly stand by kneeling. lay your hands on the hips, and keep your outer hips soft.
- Keep in mind that the upper part of both your knees and the feet should be adjacent to the ground. The sole of the feet should face upward.
- Take a deep breath.
- With the exhalation, bending your shoulder backward and forward lift the chest.
- Now, with your right hand, grab the heel of the right foot, and with the left hand hold the heel of the left foot. And spread the shoulders.
- If you feel good about yourself, drop your head back. Don’t stretch the neck or tighten the throat.
- To reach the full variation of the pose, take a deep breath inside the body at normal speed and hold your breath as long as you can.
- If you want to breathe and leave while you are in Uttrasana, then stay in the same posture at a normal speed and take deep breaths and leave out.
- Remain in this posture of Uttrasana for a while 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- To come out of this position, by alternating leave the ankles of both the legs, make the body straight, and sit on Vajrasana on the knees.
- After sitting for some time in the Vajrasana after performing the Ustrasana, it is comfortable to do the Shavasana to relieve fatigue.
- Start by kneeling on the floor with your knees hip-width apart, keeping your toes pointed behind you.
- Place your hands on your hips, fingers pointing down towards the floor.
- Inhale and lift your chest towards the ceiling while pressing your hips forward.
- Exhale and slowly start to lean back, reaching your right hand towards your right heel, then your left hand towards your left heel.
- If possible, place your hands on your heels or on the back of your ankles.
- Keep your neck in a neutral position, gazing up towards the ceiling.
- Hold this pose for 5-10 breaths, then release by bringing your hands back to your hips and slowly sitting back on your heels.
Camel yoga Pose for Beginners- If you are a beginner at yoga and are beginning to practice yoga, you may have difficulty placing your two hands on the heel. For this, you should use a yoga block and place both your hands on them.
Time duration of Ustrasana
- Stay in Uttarasana for as long as you can hold the breath filled inside the body.
- If you want to do breathing and exhalation activities while staying in the Uttrasana only after increasing the practice for some time, then you can remain in the posture of the Uttrasana for thirty seconds to one minute.
- After that, straighten your body and sit in a Vajrasana posture.
- After breathing for a while, repeat this asana again.
Ustrasana can be followed up with Setu Bandhasana.
Ustrasana camel pose benefits
Ustrasana is a wonderful posture that has physical, mental, and emotional benefits.
Here are some benefits of Ustrasana:
- Stretches the front of the body: Ustrasana opens up the chest, lungs, and heart, stretching the front of the body and improving posture.
- Improves spinal flexibility: This pose gently stretches the spine and helps to increase its flexibility, making it a good posture for people with back pain.
- Strengthens the back muscles: Ustrasana strengthens the muscles of the back and shoulders, improving posture and reducing the risk of injury.
- Reduces stress and anxiety: The deep breathing involved in this pose can help to calm the mind and reduce stress and anxiety.
- Stimulates digestion: Ustrasana stimulates the organs of the abdomen, helping to improve digestion and relieve constipation.
- By practicing this asana regularly strengthened Body parts like the shoulder, arms, legs, wrists, abdomen, hips, spine.
- The daily practice of camel mudra or Uttrasana unlocks the heart chakra which is also known as the Anahata Chakra. Awakening of the heart chakra colors life with love, compassion, and beauty.
- Ustrasana is a back-bending yoga that more flexibly the back parts of the body including the backbone and strengthens the spine, thereby eliminating the back pain also.
- While doing camel pose the neck has to bend backward, which stimulates the thyroid and parathyroid glands and improves their functioning. In this way, it is the best yoga for thyroid glands.
- Troublesome problems like slip disc and sciatica are overcome by Ustrasana.
- Performing the Ustrasana is the primary practice for other difficult asanas performed entirely by waist banding.
- By practicing it you will feel the expansion of your heart.
- Camel pose is a wonderful asana to relieve menstrual discomfort by treating menstrual cramps, changes in nature, etc.
- Camel’s pose adds stretches to the front of the body and best yoga for back pain reduction.
- Ustrasana helps in improving our body’s flow system, breathing system, muscles, bone, endocrine, and digestive system. Whether you have diabetes, asthma, thyroid, parathyroid, spondylitis, or bronchitis, this asana works like therapy on every disease.
Additional benefits of Camel Pose for pregnant women
Camel pose benefits are very important in pregnancy. It is a lovely exercise for expecting moms because it is great for the opening up shoulders, chest, and hips and makes the body more flexible during the pregnancy months.
Precautions of the Camel Pose (Ustrasana)
- It is best to practice this asana under the supervision of a yoga instructor.
- Do not stretch your knees more than your hips.
- Under depression, people must avoid this posture.
- If you have a back or neck injury, or if you are suffering from low or high blood pressure, do not practice it.
- Do not try to take deep breaths because the chest is already stretched.
- Not practicing in Osteoarthritis.
- People who are suffering from insomnia or migraine should avoid this asana.
Ustrasana is a deep backward bend yoga asana that is most known to open Anahata (Heart chakra) and best yoga for Back pain reduction. As with any yoga pose, it’s important to listen to your body and only go as far as feels comfortable. If you have any injuries or medical conditions, it’s always best to check with your doctor before practicing Ustrasana or any other yoga posture.
Sep 15, 2023
Yoga Poses For Fix Forward Head Posture
Forward head posture, also known as forward neck posture, text neck, or nerd neck, is a common issue in today's[...]
Sep 06, 2023
5 Poses of Yoga For Flat Feet or Fallen Arches
Flat feet, also known as fallen arches, can be a common condition where the arches of the feet appear to[...]
Aug 31, 2023
What Are The Benefits of Practicing Group Yoga
"Group yoga" refers to any yoga classes where multiple yogis (participants) come together to practice yoga with a leader or[...]