Yoga is a viable treatment option for bipolar disorder. Testimony to survey responses from researchers suggests that while yoga for bipolar disorder can be a great help, it includes physical, meditative, and emotional elements that can help you manage your condition. However, review results indicate that yoga has been shown to be associated with both benefits and risks for the treatment of BD.
How Does Yoga Works for Bipolar disorder?
Bipolar disorder is a type of mood disorder, which can be understood as mania and hypomania. People with bipolar disorder have “mood episodes,” which can last from days to months.
Whatever can manage stress, anxiety, and mood changes can be helpful in an overall treatment plan for bipolar disorder.
Yoga for bipolar disorder can control the shift in some of one’s manic tendencies by bringing a greater awareness of fluctuating moods.
Meditation and yoga Nidra (guided meditation) – which involves a combination of disciplined movement, controlled breathing, and meditation – often make people feel calm, yet energized. Practicing controlled breathing and meditation can induce complete relaxation and self-control in people with bipolar disorder, stabilize and enhance brain activity, and can help manage stress. Stress can trigger bipolar disorder.
Along with getting enough sleep and a nutritious diet, yoga is a psycho-physical science that can contribute to your overall physical, mental, intellectual, and spiritual well-being and form the basis of good overall health and well-being.
A survey conducted by Brown University found that Hatha yoga is a beneficial practice for some patients with bipolar disorder. Many individuals who self-identify as having BD believe that hatha and vinyasa, the most common styles of yoga, specifically reported reduced anxiety, positive cognitive effects, or positive physical effects and improved quality of life , even if not “life-changing”.
Here are some amazing yoga poses for bipolar disorder, so let’s start.
Poses of Yoga For Bipolar Disorder
It’s a good idea for bipolar disorder to practice poses that feel comfortable and accepted within your ability may be most helpful.
Your body posture improves with the practice of Dandasana. The lungs get stronger and clean air circulates throughout the body. This can reduce anxiety and develop memory.
- Sit down with your legs extended straight in front of you. If your spine is rounded, take a support under your seat.
- Flex both feet to connect your feet.
- Relax your shoulders away from your ears.
- Press your palms on the floor on either side of your seat but don’t let this action raise your shoulders.
- Keeping your neck straight and lift the crown to the ceiling.
- Stay in the pose for 1 to 2 minutes and repeat.
Paschimottanasana can be very beneficial in bipolar disorder. This can reduce insomnia and stress. In addition, it also improves the digestive system and brings flexibility in the body and strengthens the bones. Practicing this can make you feel better and reduce restlessness.
- Sitting on the seat, spread both the legs in front. Join the toes and heels of both the feet.
- While bending the torso from the waist, place the palms of both the hands on the four fingers along with the toes.
- Keeping the knees straight, bend towards the knees. Place the nose between both the knees.
- Keep the elbows on the seat while pulling the toes of the feet inwards with the hands.
- Breathe out while the practitioner bends. Pause for a few seconds.
- Breathe in while leaving the posture. Gradually increase the time.
- On attaining proficiency, do asanas with normal breathing and exhalation.
Yoga plays a very important role in getting rid of the problems related to mental disorders. You can also include Garudasana in your daily routine to get rid of mental stress.
- Stand up straight.
- Now try to wrap your left leg as far behind the right leg as possible.
- In such a situation, the heel of the left foot will come on top of the heel of your right foot.
- The left foot should touch the lower part of the right shin.
- Raise both hands up to shoulder level or wrap the right hand around the left hand
- Slowly bring the hips down.
- Keep yourself in this position for about 15-30 seconds.
Balance postures develop the brain center, the small brain, and also develop concentration and balance on the emotional, mental and spiritual levels. Bakasana creates physical balance, due to which unconsciously occurring bodily solutions end.
- Place the hands on the floor in front of the body.
- The fingers are spread out and the knuckles of the fingers will be facing forward.
- Bring the weight of the body on the hands.
- Slowly lift the buttocks and legs and bring the knees to the elbows.
- Look in front.
Reverse prayer Pose
Reduces stress and calms the mind, Builds confidence, and Relieves mild depression and anxiety.
- Take a deep breath and bend the wrists.
- Keep the hands near the spine. Keep the back straight and join hands to form a namaskar posture.
- Stay in this posture for 20-30 seconds and close your eyes.
Shavasana is a great yoga posture to stay away from stress and anxiety, it removes both physical and mental exhaustion.
- Lie flat on the mat on your back.
- Keep a little gap between both the legs.
- Keep both hands on the ground slightly away from the body, palms open upwards.
- Close both eyes and bring your body to a comfortable position.
- Breathe slowly and keep your full attention on the breath, exhale at the same pace as you inhale.
- Stay in this pose for at least 10 minutes.
Yoga therapy helps most people with bipolar disorder gain better control over their mood swings, fluctuating moods, and some manic tendencies.
Sep 22, 2022
The Guide to Yoga Class Etiquette – Tips For scholar Yogis
Whether you’re new to yoga, or you’re a well-tried yogi, it is essential to deem “what is yoga etiquette?” consists[...]
Sep 15, 2022
7 yoga asanas you should do everyday to burn extra calories
Yoga to burn extra calories is depending on several factors, including: the style of yoga you’re doingthe intensity and pace[...]
Sep 14, 2022
Yoga Mat Materials – PVC, TPE, EVA and NBR
If you are a yoga lover and found in most yoga classes, or practice yoga at home, even if you[...]