About Paschimottanasana Yoga (Seated Forward Bend):
Paschimottanasana is a seated forward bending yoga posture with the upper body folded forward. This asana is part of the Ashtanga primary series. and also mentioned in the “Shiva Samhita” as one of the accomplished asanas, along with Padmasana, Vajrasana and Siddhasana.
The name Paschimottanasana from the words paschima meaning west or back, uttana meaning intense stretch or straight, and asana meaning posture. which is also referred to as the ‘Seated Forward Bend Pose’ in English. It is a classic pose from Hatha yoga, that covers the stretching of the whole body from head to heels so it is called as Paschimottanasana. Along with It gives a good stretch, from your calves to your hamstrings (back of the thighs) to your spine. The further benefits of Paschimottasana are mentioned in this article.
Paschimottasana stimulating the Manipura chakra, which improves vitality.
Steps of Paschimottanasana Yoga (Seated Forward Bend):
1. Sit down on your mat or bed with your legs stretched straight out in front of you. Point your toes towards the ceiling. Make sure to keep both feet together and keep your body straight.
Leave the back muscles loose. Take your hands up while breathing.
2. Leaving breath and stretch your arms out forward. Hold for a moment. Then, slowly raise your torso up. Do not move your legs.
3. Slowly bend forward and catch the feet of both legs. When this action is taking place, keep both of your legs straight.
Try not to let your lower back cave in, you should be bending at your hips. Do not let your legs move or tilt. Place your hands on your lower legs, ankles, or feet. Lightly pull on them to continue stretching with each exhale.
4. Keep breathing deeply and remain in this position according to your comfort. Do for 30-60 seconds in the beginning. For health benefits 3 – 5 minutes every day is good enough. Though practitioners can go up to 15 minutes for spiritual benefits.
“Practice Paschimottanasana: Download today app 7pranayama from App store or Play store”
10 Wonder Benefits of Paschimottanasana Yoga (Seated Forward Bend):
- If you have to reduce your stomach fat, then practice this posture regularly. It also helps to reduce the stomach as well as dilute the waist.
- Seated forward fold provides a deep stretch for the entire back side of the body from the heels to the neck. Forward fold calms the nervous system and emotions and stimulates the reproductive and urinary systems.
- Regular practice of this posture improves the flow of blood throughout the body, which brings sharpness on the face, removes weakness. Keeping you happy keeps the mind happy.
- The person who is angry should do this posture. Along with anger, the mind keeps peace and happiness. This posture is controlled by anger.
- Paschimottanasana produces spinal strain and works to make them flexible. Apart from this, it also increases the length of the person very easily.
- It improves the sexual power of the person. In addition, the stomach and pelvic organs also tone well.
- By practicing this asana, one sleeps properly and the problem of insomnia is resolved.
- Stretches the hamstrings on the back of the legs as well as lengthens the entire spine.
- Regular practice of this posture can be achieved by digestive problems and acidity such as constipation.
- Stimulates the liver, kidneys, ovaries, and uterus along with Develops flexibility of the hips and knees.
Precaution of Paschimottanasana Yoga (Seated Forward Bend):
According to the experts, this asana is considered best when yogi practiced early in the morning. Mornings are preferred as the food is digested as well as the body has the energy to perform the asana. due to some reason, you cannot practice it in the morning, you can practice this asana in the evening as well. but at least keep 3-5 hour gap between your practice and meal.
1. The person who suffering from slip disc or sciatica problem, asthma should avoid Paschimottanasana.
2. When you are folding forward, use your hands for support on the floor.
3. Try to enter and exit the pose without having pain. Do not bend further in case of pain.
4. Do not be in hurry to move fast while doing the asana.
5. Patients of the ulcer should not try this asana.
6. Should be avoided during pregnancy.