Paschimottanasana is a seated forward bending yoga posture with the upper body folded forward. This asana is part of the Ashtanga primary series. and also mentioned in the “Shiva Samhita” as one of the accomplished asanas, along with Padmasana, Vajrasana and Siddhasana.
The name Paschimottanasana from the words paschima meaning west or back, uttana meaning intense stretch or straight, and asana meaning posture. which is also referred to as the ‘Seated Forward Bend Pose’ in English. It is a classic pose from Hatha yoga, that covers the stretching of the whole body from head to heels so it is called as Paschimottanasana. Along with It gives a good stretch, from your calves to your hamstrings (back of the thighs) to your spine. The further benefits of Paschimottasana are mentioned in this article.
Yoga has come as a lifelong herb in our life. Although Yoga has been practicing in India for many years, now worldwide has started to understand its importance. Yoga has a huge contribution in the life of a healthy person like the body gets energy from the universe while performing Surya Namaskar, Vakrasana decreases the fat of the stomach and doing Anulom Vilom pranayama removes breathing-related disorders. In the same way, by performing Paschimottanasana yoga, there are benefits in diabetes and high blood pressure, besides this Paschimottanasana has immense benefits.
Paschimottanasana is easy to do in one sitting. While practicing this asana, stretch occurs in the back part of the body ie the spine, hence this asana is called Paschimottanasana. Here Paschim means not the west direction but the back part of the body.
This asana is considered one of the important and essential postures. In this posture, the spinal cord becomes flexible. Due to which, there is benefit in awakening the Kundalini. This asana is more important from a spiritual point of view. Cures all the disorders of the spinal cord like back pain, liver disease, intestinal diseases, and kidney diseases. Paschimottanasana Yogasana has been taken into second place only after Sirsasana.
Before starting the practice of any asana, information about its correct methods should be obtained, otherwise, we do not get the full benefit of that asana. Let us know what is the right way to do Paschimottanasana along with the benefits of Paschimottanasana.
How To Do Paschimottanasana yoga (Seated Forward Bend)
Paschimottanasan seems very easy to see but actually practicing this asana is quite difficult. here are giving some simple steps that will make you easily perform this asana.
- To practice this easy, first place a yoga mat on the ground. Now sit with both legs spread straight on the floor. There should be no distance between the two legs and keep the legs straight as much as possible
- Make sure that the neck, head, and spine are also kept straight in this position.
- Now bend your head and trunk slowly forward and try to touch the toes with the fingers of hands without bending your knees. Leaving breath and stretch your arms out forward. Hold for a moment. Then, slowly raise your torso up. Do not move your legs.
- Exhale slowly. Try to touch your head and forehead with both knees. Keep in mind that the knee should not be bent even while bending forward.
- If you can grab your claw and pull it will help you bend forward.
- Breathing in, slowly raise the head so that a spinal strain is produced.
- Bend the arms and try to touch the ground with the elbow.
- When you are successful in performing this action, then lower the head between the two hands, try to put your nose slowly in the knees.
- In this way, after completing this action 1 time, rest for 10 seconds and repeat this action again, in this way do this asana only 3 times. While doing this asana, breathe in and out normally.
- Finally, take a deep breath and return to your initial state.
Benefits Of Paschimottanasana yoga (Seated Forward Bend)
Paschimottanasana Yoga is beneficial for our health in various ways. Let us know in detail the benefits of doing this asana-
- Paschimottanasana makes the spine more flexible and also helps to improve your body. This asana strengthens the back and shoulders and makes them flexible. And along with this, it helps in reducing lower back pain. This asana extends the entire body and strengthens the spine.
- This asana helps in curing high blood pressure, besides it helps in the problem of asthma, and flat feet, etc. It improves blood circulation in the feet.
- Performing the Paschimottanasana yoga stretches on your neck muscles which relaxes the neck muscles. In this way, you can get the benefits of Paschimottanasana yoga to keep the muscles healthy.
- For those who have diabetes, Paschimottanasan acts like a panacea and helps to relieve the symptoms of this disease.
- After delivery, by practicing Paschimottanasana daily, the body of women regains its initial shape and reduces the fat of the abdomen and hips. Apart from this, menstruation is also done properly by doing this asana.
- Performing this asana in the condition of navel avoidance is of great benefit.
- By performing Paschimottanasana, blood flow in the body goes smoothly. As a result, the weakness of the body goes away and the body becomes energized and healthy.
- If you have sleep problems, then you can get rid of sleep problems by practicing this asana.
- Dwarfness is removed by doing this and it is also beneficial in piles and other diseases.
- If you have to reduce your stomach fat, then practice this posture regularly. It also helps to reduce the stomach as well as dilute the waist.
- Seated forward fold provides a deep stretch for the entire back side of the body from the heels to the neck. Forward fold calms the nervous system and emotions and stimulates the reproductive and urinary systems.
- Regular practice of this posture improves the flow of blood throughout the body, which brings sharpness on the face, removes weakness. Keeping you happy keeps the mind happy.
- The person who is angry should do this posture. Along with anger, the mind keeps peace and happiness. This posture is controlled by anger.
- It improves the sexual power of the person. In addition, the stomach and pelvic organs also tone well.
- Regular practice of this posture can be achieved by digestive problems and acidity such as constipation.
- Stimulates the liver, kidneys, ovaries, and uterus along with Develops flexibility of the hips and knees.
According to the experts, this asana is considered best when yogi practice early in the morning. Morning is preferred as the food is digested as well as the body has the energy to perform the asana. due to some reason, you cannot practice it in the morning, you can practice this asana in the evening as well. but at least keep a 3 to 5-hour gap between your practice and meal.
Precautions for Paschimottanasana
Doing Paschimottanasana yoga has many benefits, so every person wants to do this asana. This asana is very safe to practice and has no real preventive measures. But before performing this asana, keep in mind the following precautions-
- If you have any type of leg cramps during this asana, then you immediately leave that asana, do not forcefully try to do this asana.
- You should not practice this yoga if you have trouble in the waist or if you have any problem in the bones of the spine.
- In this initial phase, there may be difficulty in touching the thumb with hands and touching the nose with suffocation. So do not rush or force it.
- People who have neck pain should not do Paschimottanasana yoga.
- If you have trouble doing this, you can do this asana by sitting on a cushion or round pillow.
- Before doing any type of asana or pranayama, do take the advice of a yoga expert.
Mar 20, 2021
5 Effective Yoga Poses For Irregular Periods
In modern times, most women have problems with menstruation and irregular periods due to poor lifestyles, lack of a clean[...]
Mar 18, 2021
How to do Sucirandhrasana And What are Its Benefits?
Sucirandhrasana is an excellent practicing for cross-legged Supine poses as well as considered a warm-up yoga pose to prare the[...]
Mar 12, 2021
How to do Chair Pose (Utkatasana) And What Are Its Benefits?
It is like sitting on an imaginary chair that it's called chair pose. Benefits of Utkatasana is also known as[...]