About Marjariasana Yoga (Cat Stretch):
Marjariasana is derived from sanskrit words marjari means cat and asana means posture or pose. It is also known as cat stretch pose. The flexibility of the spine and back muscles are maintained with the help of this asana. The Marjariasana (Cat Stretch) is a movement that combines forward bends with back arches, giving your back the complete movement it needs. Thus, your vertebrae become mobile, and the movements in your cervical, thoracic, and lumbar spine release all the tension trapped in them.
Steps of Marjariasana Yoga (Cat Stretch):
1. Come down to form a table where your back represents a table top and hands and feet represents the legs of the table. Make sure that you arms are exactly beneath your shoulder and your legs are exactly beneath your hips.
2. Look ahead straight such that your spine goes little down towards the floor.
3. Now on exhaling, gently press the middle of your spine backward towards the ceiling and firmly press down with your hands. Curl your head inwards and look at the distance between your knees. Make sure hands do not bend.
4. Now while inhaling come back to the table position.
5. Now again curl your spine backwards.
6. Repeat this pose for 10-20 times.
7. Now while breathing deeply come back to the sitting position with your torso straight.
“Practice Marjariasana: Download today app 7pranayama from App store or Play store”
Benefits of Marjariasana yoga (Cat Stretch):
1. Makes the spine flexible.
2. Improves digestion by massaging digestive organs.
3. Improves blood circulation.
4. Relaxes the mind.
5. Strengthens arms, wrists and shoulders.
6. Stretches back and abdominal muscles.
7. Helps relieve backache.
Precaution Marjariasana Yoga (Cat Stretch):
1. People having neck injury should not try this pose.
2. Do not try to push yourself beyond your comfort level.
3. Should not be practiced at the time of pregnancy.
4. People suffering from back or knee pain should also avoid this asana.