The Marjariasana (Cat Pose) is a movement that combines forward bends with back arches, giving your back the complete movement it needs. Thus, your vertebrae become mobile, and the movements in your cervical, thoracic, and lumbar spine release all the tension trapped in them.
Marjariasana is practiced in conjunction with a counter pose called cow pose.
|Marjaree = cat/ asana = pose
|Forward bend, kneeling pose
|Style of yoga
|Back, spine, shoulders, and neck
|Spine, back, tailbone, and shoulders
|As feel as comfortable
Marjariasana is a Sanskrit word, which is made up of two words. In which the word “Marjari” means “cat” and “Asana” means “posture or position”. The person doing this asana looks like a cat. It is also known as cat stretch pose. The flexibility of the spine and back muscles are maintained with the help of this asana.
The pose is an easy forward-kneeling pose, that is used as a warm-up pose to prepare the body for advance level Yoga practices.
Practice Guide for Marjariasana (Cat Pose)
Marjariasana involves a sequence of movements that challenge the practitioner’s strength, flexibility, and focus. To facilitate a step-by-step approach, the pose is divided into key components, allowing practitioners to grasp each element before attempting the full pose. These components typically include the initial posture, transitional phases, and the final position.
Steps To Do Marjariasana Cat Yoga Pose
- Come down to form a table where your back represents a table top and arms and legs represent table legs. Make sure your arms are directly below your shoulders and your feet are directly below your hips.
- Look straight ahead so that your spine dips slightly towards the floor.
- Now while exhaling, gently press the middle part of your spine backwards towards the ceiling and press firmly with your hands. Turn your head inward and look at the distance between your knees. Make sure the hands do not twist.
- Now while inhaling come back to the table position.
- Now again curl your spine backward.
- Repeat this pose for 10-20 times.
- Now while breathing deeply come back to the sitting position with your torso straight.
“Practice Marjariasana: Download today app 7pranayama from App store or Play store”
Make the spinal flexible
Marjariasana involves a flowing movement that alternates between arching and rounding the spine. This helps improve flexibility and mobility in the spine, promoting a healthy range of motion.
Warm-up for the spine
Marjariasana is often used as a warm-up exercise in yoga sessions. The dynamic motion of the pose helps prepare the spine for more intense stretches and yoga poses that may follow.
Practicing Cat Pose regularly can help improve posture by strengthening the muscles that support the spine. It also encourages awareness of the spine’s natural curves.
Stimulates abdominal organs
The alternate stretching and contracting of the abdominal area in Marjariasana can help stimulate the digestive organs, improving digestion and promoting a healthy digestive system.
Strengthens core muscles
The engagement of the abdominal muscles during the rounding phase of the pose helps strengthen the core muscles, providing stability to the torso.
Removes mental stresses
The rhythmic movement of the Cat-Cow Pose, combined with coordinated breath, can help calm the mind and reduce stress. It encourages mindfulness and relaxation, making it a great pose for mental well-being.
- People having neck injury should not try this pose.
- Do not try to push yourself beyond your comfort level.
- Should not be practiced at the time of pregnancy.
- People suffering from back or knee pain should also avoid this asana.
Marjariasana, also known as Cat-Cow Pose, is a popular yoga asana that is often included in various yoga sequences. This pose offers several benefits for the body, mind, and overall well-being.
Feb 21, 2024
Ardha Mandalasana (Half Circle Pose): Basics, Steps, Benefits & More
Ardha Mandalasana Yoga Pose is considered a Intermediate-level ground posture, it encourages the body to open up effectively for spiritual[...]
Feb 21, 2024
Hindolasana (Baby Cradle Pose): Basics, Steps, Benefits & More
Before beginning any yoga practice, make sure you warm up your body with a number of loosening or warm-up exercises[...]
Feb 21, 2024
Vrischikasana (Scorpion Pose): Basics, Steps, Benefits & More
Vrischikasana is an advanced yoga pose described in Yoga, which can be quite challenging. It's a combination of backbends and[...]