The key benefits of yoga are mental and physical development along with spiritual growth. Yoga revitalizes the body and makes it more healthy and efficient. There are numerous yoga poses that benefit the body in a multitude of ways. Naukasana is one of them.
It is comprised of two Sanskrit words, Nauka meaning Boat and Asana meaning Pose. Since it is in the particular shape of a boat, hence it is named Naukasana. Naukasana is among the few yoga poses which can be performed while lying on the back as well as on the stomach. Boat pose is quite good from the point of view of health as it not only stretches your abdominal muscles but also tones the vital organs present in your abdomen. It is quite helpful in treating pancreas, kidney, liver, and gastric juices-related health issues and problems.
How to do Naukasana (Boat Pose Steps)
There are different easy and simply steps to perform Naukasana. There are three distinct types of Naukasana where one is simple while second and third are the advanced variations. Both are in the supine position whereas the third one is actually prone position where the body is stretched as well as the arms are duly kept before the head. Here we will discuss the steps to perform simple boat pose.
- First, you need to lie down on the back, the supine position.
- Inhale and raise your body to 30 degrees such that you can easily see toes with the eyes.
- Keep the palms on the thighs.
- Remain in this particular pose for as long as possible. Initially, you can do it for 20 seconds and then increase your time up to 2 minutes.
- While you maintain this pose, feel the stretch in the navel area.
- Now bring the body down while deep exhaling and relaxing.
- Inhale and exhale slowly while you maintain the pose.
“Pranayama at Home : Download today app 7pranayama from App store or Play store”
It will be quite difficult to practice this asana by the beginners. But they need not get disheartened. Initially, you need to lie down on Savasana. Then stretch the body by bringing the arms behind the head. Now raise the right arm, left leg, and head at a 30-degree angle and then maintain it for 10 to 15 seconds. This is the variation of the pose called Shalabhasana. Now you can proceed to try for a simple boat pose. In case you have any problem, then you should consult a yoga expert in order to practice this pose in a better way.
Health Benefits of Naukasana (Boat Pose)
- It helps in losing belly fat. It facilitates suitable compressing, stretching and relaxation to the abdominal part of the body and hence it is great to burn belly fat if it is practised on a regular basis. It is among the most effect asanas for achieving flat body.
- It helps in getting a slim waist. It reduces the amount of fat around the waist.
- It is good for the kidneys as it strengthens them and tones them.
- It assists to place the navel at the right and appropriate position.
- It is great for gastric juices secretion and quite effective for the process of digestion. It also stimulates the peristaltic movement of your intestine.
- It helps in treating diabetes. Its advanced variation helps in secretion of pancreatic juices which regulates the function of your pancreas and hence cures diabetes.
- It helps in developing six-pack abs. It is a very powerful yoga posture and provides a comfortable stretching for your abdominal muscles. Practising this yoga on a regular basis for quite a longer period of time assists in developing six-pack abs.
- It helps in improving blood circulation by burning excess fats in the veins and arteries.
- It is quite good for health kidneys and helps in curing kidney problems.
- It removes the toxins present in the body which makes the body more active and removes lethargy. It makes the body more energetic.
- It strengthens your back muscles.
- It is good for hormones. It strengthens the entire body systems lie digestive, muscular, circulatory, hormonal and nervous systems.
- People who are suffering from a hernia should only practice boat pose after consultation with a doctor.
- People with spinal problems shouldn’t try to practice this yoga.
- People who have blood pressure issues should avoid it. It is also in the case of people suffering from high blood pressure, migraine, and severe headache.
- Asthmatic patients should avoid it.
- People with heart issues should rather skip this pose.
- Women who are pregnant or in the MC period shouldn’t practice it.
- Patients who are suffering from hip joint pain, as well as arthritis, should never practice this pose.
- People who have problems with diarrhea, insomnia, and have neck injury shouldn’t practice it.
Jun 18, 2022
Sarvangasana | Shoulder Stand Steps | Benefits
Sarvangasana or shoulder stand is a powerful inversion pose wherein the whole body is balanced on the shoulders, body weight[...]
Jun 17, 2022
Halasana | Plow Pose | Steps | Benefits | Precautions
Halasana (Plow Pose), is a full-body stretch that requires you to change your thinking while doing it. Meditation, Pranayama, Shavasana[...]
Jun 16, 2022
A Step by Step Guide to Yoga Nidra
Yoga has many benefits and among those is mental and spiritual awakening. It puts the practitioner in a surreal state[...]