Giloy is a medicine that is considered as plant-like nectar. From the Ayurvedic point of view, it is considered as the best medicine to cure all types of diseases.
Giloy (scientifically known as Tinospora cordifolia) is a herbaceous vine that is native to India and has been used in Ayurvedic medicine for centuries. It is also known as Guduchi, Amruta, and Tippa tiga.
Giloy is considered to have numerous health benefits due to its immunomodulatory, antioxidant, and anti-inflammatory properties. It is believed to strengthen the immune system, improve digestion, reduce stress and anxiety, and improve liver function. It is also used to treat a range of health conditions such as fever, diabetes, arthritis, and respiratory problems.
The plant contains several active compounds such as alkaloids, glycosides, and steroids that are responsible for its medicinal properties. Giloy can be consumed in the form of fresh juice, powder, or capsules.
Based on the medicinal properties, Giloy grown on a Neem tree is considered to be the best because the tree on which the Giloy vine climbs is able to absorb all the qualities of that tree. Neem properties are also included, so Neemgilloy is best.
It can be consumed by anyone of any age. Benefits of Giloy proved to be effective in reducing inflammation in your body, controlling sugar, fighting arthritis, curing jaundice, and eliminating many serious diseases including dengue, cancer, anemia, jaundice, leprosy, snake bite, eye disorders, skin, and respiratory diseases. (study) it is possible. In this way, Giloy is used in many diseases. Calcium, protein, and phosphorus are found in sufficient quantity in its leaves. Apart from this, there is also a good amount of starch in its stems.
Due to its special properties, it is considered like nectar and for this reason, it is also called “Amrita” or A magic herb. (study)
How To Identify Giloy Plant
Giloy is a vine, which is available early in the forest bushes. It is being used as an Ayurvedic medicine since ancient times. It leaves look like betel leaves, its color is thick green. Its thick gray-colored old vine is used as medicine. Its flowers come in small bunches during the summer season and its fruits are grown in elliptical, smooth bunches like peas which later become red in color. Its seeds are white in color.
The tree on which it forms its base also has its properties. From this point of view, it is considered the best medicine on Neem.
A simple test for its identification is that when iodine solution is added to its decoction it becomes dark blue. This indicates the presence of starch in it. Usually, adulteration is minimal, but correct identification is mandatory.
Nutritional Profile of Giloy
- Carbohydrates: Giloy contains carbohydrates in the form of starch, glucose, and fructose. These sugars provide energy to the body and help in maintaining blood glucose levels.
- Proteins: Giloy contains some amount of protein, which is essential for building and repairing tissues in the body.
- Fibre: Giloy is a good source of dietary fibre, which aids in digestion and promotes bowel regularity.
- Vitamins: Giloy is a rich source of vitamins like vitamin C, vitamin A, and vitamin E. These vitamins act as antioxidants, protect cells from oxidative damage, and boost the immune system.
- Minerals: Giloy contains minerals like calcium, iron, zinc, and copper. These minerals are essential for various physiological processes in the body.
Benefits of Giloy for Health
It leaves are very beneficial for us. By consuming them, you can lose weight as well as get rid of diseases. A large amount of calcium, protein, phosphorus, and starch are present in the stem of its leaves. Also, antibiotic and antiviral elements are also in it. Which protects your body from many diseases. Know what are the benefits of consuming Giloy.
In many types of research of modern science also, it has been proved that it is very useful both in diseases and in medicine. This is a boon for diabetes patients. People who have diabetes disease should take Giloy juice regularly. This helps in controlling the diabetes problem. If you take Giloy juice on an empty stomach in the morning, then it is a very beneficial factor for diabetes.
It has antioxidant properties that keep the body healthy by fighting dangerous diseases. There is a chemical that is also an anti-hemorrhagic, oozing, anti-cardiovascular, antidiabetic and liver tonic. Giloy excretes toxins from the kidneys and liver and cleanses the blood. Or help fight urinary tract problems. Drinking Giloy juice regularly increases the ability to fight against diseases.
Its extract and decoction are also beneficial in arthritis due to its anti-inflammatory and anti-arthritic properties. Heat its leaves and apply some oil on it and place it on the painful area for 25 minutes. It will relieve the pain.
Cancer is the second leading cause of death. The use of plant-derived products in the treatment of cancer can improve adverse side effects. Some plant products like Giloy are being useful to treat cancer. It has shown very promising anti-cancer properties. (Study)
It has some curative properties of its root that allow its use as an antidote on snake bites. (Study)
Study shows that Its stem is useful for the urinary disease. Additionally, The decoction of Giloy also removes occupational distress.
Cough, Cold, and Fever
Best home remedies for cough, cold, and fever. Giloy is beneficial in all types of fever. In particular, prevention of dengue, chikungunya, swine flu, after treatment and disease is very useful in removing side effects and is also beneficial in cold, cough, cold. In addition to fever prevention, it also uses as a chemical to eliminate weakness after any long period of illness. Giloy is very beneficial in removing all types of chronic tides. (study)
Taking Giloy is very beneficial for jaundice patients. Some people take it in the form of powder and some people boil its leaves in water and drink it. If you wish, you can also grind it leaves and mix it with honey. It is beneficial in jaundice and the patient becomes healthy quickly.
If you have anemia, using Giloy leaves will be very beneficial for you. Giloy is helpful in relieving anemia. (study)
Here are some of the potential benefits of Giloy for health:
- Boosts Immunity: Giloy is known for its immunomodulatory properties that can help boost the immune system. It can increase the production of white blood cells and strengthen the body’s defense against infections and diseases.
- Reduces Inflammation: Giloy has anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce inflammation in the body. This makes it beneficial for people with conditions like arthritis, gout, and asthma.
- Detoxifies the Body: Giloy is a natural detoxifier that can help remove toxins from the body. It can also help improve liver function and prevent liver damage caused by toxins.
- Manages Diabetes: Giloy has been shown to help manage diabetes by regulating blood sugar levels. It can also improve insulin sensitivity and reduce insulin resistance.
- Fights Respiratory Infections: Giloy has antimicrobial properties that can help fight respiratory infections like colds, flu, and bronchitis. It can also help relieve symptoms like cough, sore throat, and fever.
- Improves Digestion: Giloy can improve digestion by increasing the secretion of digestive enzymes. It can also help reduce acidity and bloating.
- Enhances Cognitive Function: Giloy has been shown to enhance cognitive function and improve memory. It can also help reduce anxiety and stress.
While Giloy has many potential health benefits, it’s important to consult with a healthcare provider before using it to treat any medical condition. Additionally, pregnant and breastfeeding women should avoid using Giloy.
Benefits of Giloy for Skin
The continuous use of it brings a sharp face to the face and does not cause untimely wrinkles.
For Acne And Pimples– Giloy is a good treatment to eliminate wrinkles and pimples on the face. After applying this paste on the face for fifteen minutes, wash it with cold water.
Other Benefits Of Giloy
- It is a sedative, whose proper use can relieve the diseases caused by Vata, bile, and phlegm arising in the body.
- Take Giloy powder with jaggery to relieve constipation.
- It is also helpful in reducing mental stress and anxiety.
- By giving the juice of Giloy with Amla juice, the eyesight also increases and diseases related to the eye will also remove.
- If you have vomiting, mixing sugar candy or honey in Giloy juice and drinking it twice a day will provide relief.
- Its tea reduces mental stress, it also increases memory.
- Apart from this, Eat it powder with amla or jaggery to increase digestion power.
How to Consume Giloy?
Giloy can be consumed in various forms, including fresh leaves, powder, capsules, and juice. Here are some ways to consume Giloy:
- Fresh Leaves: Fresh Giloy leaves can be washed and chewed on an empty stomach in the morning.
- Powder: Giloy powder can be mixed with water or honey and consumed daily.
- Capsules: Giloy capsules are also available and can be taken as per the dosage recommended by a healthcare provider.
- Juice: Giloy juice can be made by boiling Giloy stems in water and then straining the liquid. This juice can be consumed as a health drink.
When consuming Giloy, it’s important to follow the recommended dosage and consult with a healthcare provider if you have any medical conditions or are taking any medications. Additionally, pregnant and breastfeeding women should avoid consuming Giloy.
Jan 19, 2024
Nutrition Facts, Uses, And Health Benefits of Ajwain (Carom Seeds)
Ajwain, also known as carom seeds, is a staple in Indian kitchens and is widely used for its distinct flavor[...]
Jan 11, 2024
Parsley: Uses & Benefits And Coriander v/s Parsley
Parsley is more than just a flavorful herb used in cooking. It belongs to the Apiaceae family and is rich[...]
Oct 18, 2023
Ritucharya: Ayurvedic Perspectives on Seasonal Eating
Ayurveda, the ancient Indian medical system, developed between 2500 and 500 BC in India that offers a holistic profound perspective[...]