If You have Fibromyalgia, Why Wait! Scroll down continue to read this article and learn more about the best poses of yoga for fibromyalgia.
Before we start learning about the benefits of yoga for fibromyalgia, let’s find out what exactly causes this disorder.
What is Fibromyalgia And Causes of Fibromyalgia?
Fibromyalgia is a chronic pain disorder, characterized by widespread musculoskeletal pain with memory, mood, sleep disorders, and cognitive function (such as memory) throughout the body. Fibromyalgia amplifies pain factors in the patient’s sensation, which occurs because the painful senses are affected by the way this body processes pain signals. The pain or condition of fibromyalgia usually affects your muscles and can last for several months or even years.
Due to the presence of arthritis and its symptoms, it is often mistaken for arthritis. Although it does not cause much damage to the joints like arthritis.
Fibromyalgia is very common in women, it is a disease that comes with long-term experience and is chronic in nature.
People with fibromyalgia often wake up tired after sleeping, even if they have been sleeping for a long time. Many patients suffering from this have other sleep disorders such as sleep apnea and restless legs syndrome.
Tension, headache, temporomandibular joint disorders, intestinal diseases, anxiety, and depression are also seen in people with fibromyalgia. Apart from this, any kind of infection, physical and mental trauma can also lead to fibromyalgia syndrome.
Symptoms of Fibromyalgia
- Decline in health
- Muscle aches and cramps
- Anxiety and depression
- Emotional weakness
- Severe pain in the body
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- Morning stiffness
- Weight gain
Although there is no cure for fibromyalgia, Exercise, relaxation, and stress reduction measures can help control its symptoms.
Causes Of Fibromyalgia
The exact cause of fibromyalgia cannot be determined. There are many infections and diseases that trigger or exacerbate fibromyalgia disease.
Sometimes a physical trauma and psychological stress can trigger fibromyalgia. Also, this genetics can be one of the factors and causes.
Science-Based Benefits of Yoga for Fibromyalgia
A 2010 study with women affected by fibromyalgia showed that an 8-week course with yoga resulted in improvements in the form of less pain, fatigue, and improved mood. The course program included meditation, breathing techniques, gentle yoga postures, and instructions to deal with the symptoms associated with this pain disorder.
Several other studies have concluded that yoga is a suitable alternative for dealing with fibromyalgia. This led to improved sleep quality, reduced fatigue, and exhaustion, and reduced depression – while others in the study reported that yoga improved quality of life.
Yoga Poses for Fibromyalgia & Chronic Pain
Our conclusion after reading several studies is that yoga can certainly play a role in a holistic approach to diagnosing fibromyalgia and chronic diseases.
1. Standing forward bend or Uttanasana
This forward bending pose is also known as Uttanasana and is quite a wonderful and wonderful asana to relax the whole body. The asana requires touching the back of your feet by bending them. It can be modified according to one’s flexibility.
How to do:
- Stand up straight on the yoga mat.
- Stand feet hip-width apart and feel relax.
- Lean forward and try and put palms on the floor.
- People who aren’t able to reach the floor can try to extend themselves and grab the backs of their ankles.
- Stay in this position for 30 seconds.
2. The Warrior Pose or Virabhadrasana
A popular treatment of fibromyalgia is the warrior pose. It is extremely helpful to keep the muscles strong and get peace of mind. It is one of the popular traditional asanas, which helps a lot in relaxing the muscles in the arms and back. Any tension is relieved, and with it comes relaxation.
How to do:
- Stand straight on the yoga mat.
- Lean forward and take your right foot one step ahead of you with your knee bent
- Stretch the other leg back.
- Extend your hands parallel to the shoulders and look to the right.
- Stay in this position for 30 seconds
Know more about Warrior Pose and its benefits
3. Cobra Pose or Bhujangasana
It is also known as the cobra pose because in this you have to make a snake-like position. The pose helps in working the sensitive areas and easing the stretching. This is a very popular yoga for fibromyalgia pain.
How to do:
- lie down on your stomach.
- Raise your hands and head upwards so that a pull is felt in them.
- Stretch your hands until they go behind the chest.
- keep your upper body upwards for a while.
- After the stay, 15 to 30 seconds come back to the earlier position.
Know More About Cobra Pose and its Benefits
4. Bridge Pose or Setu Bandhasana
If you are still thinking that yoga can cure fibromyalgia, then you must give it a try. This pose allows you to feel less anxious by reducing back pain and neck pain, problems related to the nervous system, and many more. Because of this asana gives a deep stretch to your body muscles.
How to do:
- lie flat on the floor.
- First, bend the knees and keep the heels flat on the floor.
- Keep your arms alongside the body.
- Lift your hips towards the ceiling.
- Move your hands above your head.
- Hold this pose for about 30-45 seconds.
Know more about Bridge Pose and its Benefits.
5. Child Pose or Balasana
This pose is named after an asana where children are often seen on the floor. It helps to calm the mind, stimulate oneself, be happy, and focus on breathing. It is known to be great yoga help with fibromyalgia pain.
How to do:
- Get down on your knees.
- Keep your spine straight
- Exhale and lean forward with your torso between the thighs and arms back.
- Bend completely and lower your head slowly to the floor.
- Bring the hands above the head.
- Wait a minute or two.
6. Corpes Pose or Shavasana
Savasana provides restless as well as knot your mind thought with you. This asana improving sleep & cure insomnia, Reducing symptoms like stress, fatigue, and chronic pain.
How to do:
- First of all, lie down on your back.
- Slowly release your breath in and out.
- While breathing in, think that you are taking energy inside you, which is refreshing you.
- While exhaling, think that you are releasing all the worry and pain out.
- Stay in this state until you are feeling good.
- By doing this yoga daily, you will feel good.
Know more about Corpes Pose and Benefits
The best yoga poses for fibromyalgia help you relax physically and mentally. These asanas are highly focused on providing pain relief, and help you stay stress-free. Try this yoga pose to help fibromyalgia.
Jul 24, 2021
Natarajasana | Lord of the Dance Pose | Steps | Benefits | Precautions
We all know that yoga has great importance in our physical life. If we do not do yoga then we[...]
Jul 23, 2021
Camatkarasana | Wild Thing | Flip Dog | Steps | Benefits
Camatkarasana is a single-hand balance pose, that focuses on a backbend. It is a newer addition to the yoga canon.[...]
Jul 23, 2021
Supta Matsyendrasana | Supine Spinal Twist Steps | Benefits
Supta Matsyendrasana is a very easy lying posture that anyone can do. Its benefits are very amazing. It is described[...]