Garbhasana named comes from the Sanskrit language. where ‘Garbha’ means fetus and the meaning of Asana is a yoga pose. When you perform this asana, your body looks like the shape of a fetus. and it resembles the form of a human fetus in the mother’s womb. So This Asana is named so. A child in the mother’s womb is free from all worries and the mind is calm. While remaining in this position, a person remembers those memories and calms our nerves. It is also known as Embryo Pose.
Garbhasana is a sitting as well as balancing yoga posture, in this pose you have to balance your body weight on the buttocks. The pose is identical to Uttana Kurmasana,( tortoise pose). In Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga, the pose is in the primary series. Before discussing the benefits of Garbhasana, let us know how to do Garbhasana.
How To Do Garbhasana
- First, sit in Padmasana. Look straight and cross the legs with keeping your spine erect.
- Move arms between the thighs and calves of each leg so that the elbows can turn.
- Now, Bend your elbows around the calf muscles and grab the ears
- Raise your legs near the shoulder along with hands.
- Put the weight of the whole body on the buttocks and breath out.
- Relax, stay in this situation as long as possible.
- After that do the next step, by your right hand hold your left ear and with your left hand hold your right ear.
- This is the final position, stay in this situation as long as possible.
- To come out of this position, lower the legs and take out the hands.
- In this position, breathing out while holding the ears with your hands.
- Breathe normally in the last position.
- Place your both hands in Gyan mudra and come back to Padmasana.
Benefits Of Garbhasana
- This posture is helpful in stirring angered, angry and dissatisfied mind.
- Regular practice of Garbhasana does not experience much pain in infant birth time. This is a useful addition to women’s menstruation.
- It stimulates the digestive system and enhances appetite.
- After 40 days of female deliveries, this posture takes place again, then in a few months the weakness of the body is removed
- Garbhasana also removes neurasthenia.
- It is helpful to lighten the body and also increase blood circulation.
- Garbhasana removes the body’s nerves as well as muscle defects.
According to the experts, this asana is considered best when yogi practiced early in the morning. Mornings are preferred as the food is digested as well as the body has the energy to perform the asana. due to some reason, you cannot practice it in the morning, you can practice this asana in the evening as well. but at least keep 3-5 hour gap between your practice and meal.
- In conditions of migraine, insomnia or low blood pressure should avoid this asana.
- In case of any recent knee, neck and shoulder injury don’t practice this asana.
Padmasana and Kukkutasana