A Hatha Yoga posture, Shashankasana (Rabbit Pose) is a wonderful setting forwards bending position.
The word Shashankasana comes from the Sanskrit language is derived from two words, Shashank and Asana; where Shashank stands for moon and asana stands for posture. In the way, the word Shashank also derived from two words Shash and Ank, where Shash stands for rabbit and Ank means lap.
In this position, the body resembles the round spine of the rabbit and derives the name from there.
Shashankasana is another variation of Vajrasana. This is either very helpful for all types of backache or myriad benefits of Shashankasana come to life by regular practices. It is useful for Asthma, Diabetes, hypertension, physical brain disorders, and in heart problem. And also help boost energy in the body; hence it included in flow Yoga sequence.
Shashankasana stimulated the Third eye Chakra (Ajna Charka), Solar Plexus (Manipura Chakra), and Heart Chakra (Vishuddha Chakra).
Rabbit Pose is a perfect asana for obesity. And it is a very easy asana to perform, can be done by anyone irrespective of age. Let us understand How to do Shashankasana (Rabbit Pose) along with Shashankasana benefits, and Precautions.
How to Do Shashankasana (Rabbit Pose)
- First of all, Sit in Vajrasana on the floor or yoga mat and Place your hands on the thighs just above the knees.
- Keep your spine straight, close your eyes and relax the whole body.
- Now, with deep inhalations, raise your both hands up in line with the shoulder. Make sure elbows must be straight.
- In this position-You can bring your knees a little apart if this makes it more comfortable for you.
- With complete exhalation, move your torso forward; place the hands and forehead on the ground in front.
- The forehead should be touching the ground without raising the buttocks.
- Keep your arms stretched and palms on the ground.
- Rest in this final position as long as you are comfortable.
- After this, slowly move in the first position while breathing in.
- Remember that when you move up-breath in when you move down- breath out.
- To come out from this position-lift the forehead, arms to the vertical position and palms on the thighs.
Benefits of Shashankasana (Rabbit Pose)
- The stretching and relaxation of the back muscles will helps to reduce lower backache.
- The asana makes the body more flexible and also gives a good stretch to the thorax and navel.
- Regular practicing of Rabbit Pose also regulates the metabolism well as cures constipation.
- Digestion muscles get a good stretch, hence this improves digestion system.
- Shashankasana helps in relieving arthritic pain.
- The time of head touched the floor; it improves blood supply to the head, brain and sensory organs.
- Shashankasana can help with sexual disorders.
- It is a relaxing posture for all sitting asanas.
- Shashankasana either stimulates the abdominal organs or Third eye Chakra (Ajna Charka) and Solar Plexus (Manipura Chakra).
- Regular practicing of this asana will help in relieving constipation.
- Rabbit Pose, when done regularly, can be beneficial in thyroid glands, and keeping the hormones in control.
- More beneficial in getting rid of abdominal fat.
- It calms the mind and relieves stress around the neck.
- Shashankasana Keeps the body muscles young and fresh, makes a happy and prosperous life.
- It also helps
in glaucoma, retinal detachment, and physical brain disorders.
- If you suffer from a knee injury, spinal, shoulder injury or neck pain should avoid this yoga posture.
- In the case of high blood pressure, vertigo, slipped disc. Glaucoma or dizziness does not perform this asana.
- Osteoarthritis patients must be avoided by Rabbit pose.
- Pregnant women please avoid this asana.