Yoga, Pranayama, and meditation are important to keep the body healthy and disease-free. In the same way, hand mudras also have special significance. According to Ayurveda – Yoga Mudras are considered healing hand techniques for curing many diseases. The Sanskrit word mudra means body gestures (body configuration) or tendency. Here we give a detail explanation about the Apna mudra and why it is important, benefits of Apna mudra and how to do and side effects also.
Apana Mudra and Why it is Important
Mudras are hundreds of types. But some major mudras like- Vayu mudra, Gyan mudra, Varun mudra, Shunya mudra, Dhyana mudra, Abhaya mudra, Akash mudra, Prithvi mudra, etc. The entire body or only hands are used for Mudras.
In ancient times, the sages used to perform yoga mudras to keep the five elements inside the body balanced with air, water, fire, earth, and sky. If, these five elements present in the body are not in a balanced state due to which various diseases occur in the body. The characteristic of these five elements is contained in the fingers of the hands.
Apana mudra is a type of very simple hand mudra, where the use of fingers of hands is made. In the human body, the fingers of hands represent the five elements. like-
- Thumb Fire
- Index finger Air
- Middle finger Space (ether)
- Ring finger Earth
- Little finger Water
In Apana mudra, the top of the thumb touches the middle and the top of the ring finger. The place of love is the center of health and strength, hence this mudra is called energy mudra. And in Yoga, it is called Swadhisthana Chakra and Mooladhar Chakra.
In Sanskrit, Apana means a downward moving force.
Apana mudra is a very important mudra to the human body. Because it detoxifies the entire body, an important requirement of a healthy body. This mudra detoxes the body by stimulating the excretion system to flush out the toxins of the body.
As the acquisition is necessary for life, immersion is also essential for life. The body carries out its refinement through immersion. When the immersion process is interrupted, it becomes difficult for a person to stay healthy. Apart from this, the defects of Prana, Apan, Saman, Udan and Vyan Vayu can be refined with Apana Mudra. Apana mudra is a very important action to protect human health.
In conclusion, the following up explanation practice is Apna mudra.
How to do Apana Mudra?
Apna Mudra is associated with the body that performing together with deep breathing and meditation asanas. It is a yogic hand gesture that is performed by the thumb, middle and ring finger. It can practice anytime and anywhere. There are some simple steps that will explain how to do this Apana Hasta Mudra.
- First of all, sit in any comfortable seating posture and place the hands with palm pointing upwards on the thighs or the knees.
- Meditation postures like Padmasana, Siddhasana, Swastikasana, Vajrasana, etc. are ideal for the practice of mudras.
- Close your eyes and take some deep breaths with the awareness of the breathing process.
- Now fold your middle and ring finger and tap the tip of both fingers would jointly touch the tip of the thumb.
- The rest of the three fingers should be keep extended as much as possible.
- Removing all thoughts from the mind has to focus the mind only on OM.
- In addition, it should be practicing with both hands simultaneously.
- Do not decrease or increase the speed of breath from your side.
- Perform this pose for 45 minutes at a stretch every day or for 10 to 15 minutes three times a day. Although there is no harm in going beyond 45 minutes, for therapeutic benefits, 45 minutes is quite sufficient.
You can practice this Mudra by standing in Tadasana Yoga (Mountain pose), otherwise sitting on a chair.
This mudra is beneficial for the body in many ways, it helps in curing various types of diseases, let us know the benefits of Apana mudra in detail.
Benefits of Apana Mudra
It is believing Apana mudra has a lot of spiritual, mental, and emotional benefits.
- Apana mudra balance the three doshas (Vata, Kapha, and pitta doshas) in the human body. It increases the Vata and Kapha doshas and decreases the pitta in the body.
- By practicing it regularly, breathing-related diseases are destroyed.
- Makes the heart strong by the disciplined practice of this mudra.
- Regularizing the Apana mudra helps to control diabetes.
- This mudra removes body temperature by sweating.
- This mudra also helps to improve the flow of perspiration, urine, and stool.
- Apaan mudra is also known to strengthen human body parts.
- According to acupressure, its pressure centers on the respiratory tract and gastric diseases.
- This mudra soothes a toothache.
- Also get relief in diseases like indigestion, gas, acidity, constipation.
- Apart from this, it removes urinary defects.
A specialty of Apana Mudra Yoga
There are a lot of Mudras, but this Mudra being used by spiritual giants like Sri Ramakrishna and Mahavatar Babaji.
- In Bhava Samadhi- Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa was often found in the same Mudra.
- Mahavatar Babaji also taught the importance of this Mudra to his disciple Rajinikanth.
Apana mudra also practices in a standing, sitting or lying down on a bed whenever. You can chant a mantra or switch words silently. No particular time duration for this mudra. Of course, All mudra is very effective when you do the mudras between 4-6 AM. To an excellent, the best and efficient results, make sure you practice regularly for two months.
However, all mudras are beneficial to us without any side-effects. pressure should not be applied on the finger. Pressure means, your mind is restless and not stable. As a result, nothing at all. Perform this mudra freely.
Urine can come more from this pose. There is no need to be afraid of it. It should not be more than the specified time.
Feb 18, 2021
How to do Naga Mudra And What are Its benefits?
The Naga Mudra is a sacred hand gesture or 'seal' that symbolizes supernatural power, wisdom, insight, and power. Naga mudra[...]
Feb 18, 2021
Suchi Mudra: How to Do, Benefits & Precautions
See the literal meaning of Suchi Mudra or Suchi Hast Mudra, it is derived from the Sanskrit Shuchi word which[...]
Feb 14, 2021
Surabhi Mudra or Kamadhenu Mudra (Wish-fulfilling Mudra)
Surabhi Mudra is a very effective and powerful Mudra, also known as Kamdhanu mudra. This mudra paves the spiritual path[...]