Camatkarasana is a single hand balance pose, that focuses on a backbend. It is a newer addition to the yoga canon. This pose bring energizes your spirit and mind & improves self-confidence. It a great heart opener, that stretches the thighs and hip flexors as well as builds strength in arms, shoulders, and upper back.
Benefits of Camatkarasana bring great joy for practitioners. It lets their wild side shine. Hence, this asana is also called the Wild Thing Pose.
The word Camatkarasana is derived from Sanskrit Camatkara, meaning “miracle” or “surprise,” and asana, meaning “pose.” It is translated as “the ecstatic unfolding of the enraptured heart.” It is an intermediate level yoga pose that is performed in a prone position.
This asana is also be referred to as Flipped Dog or Dancer’s Bridge pose in English.
How To Do Camatkarasana (Wild Thing Pose)
- Come in Camatkarasana (Wild Thing)-
- First, You should begin this pose by performing the Adho Mukha Svanasana (Downward facing dog).
- Now, bring your body weight into your right hand and the outside of the right heel like you are performing the Vasisthasana (Side plank pose).
- While breathing in, putting your right hand strong with clawing the fingers, and allow your hips to be lifted as with buoyancy.
- While breathing out, move your left foot back and place the ball of the left foot on the floor.
- After that curl your upper back and soften your shoulder blades.
- Inhaling deeply, lift your hips higher, curl your head back, and extend your lifted arm and stretch it backward.
- Make sure press down your legs and right hand to more buoyancy in the hips.
- Then, hold the final pose and around 5 to 10 breaths.
- Repeat the same position in the other direction.
Benefits Of Camatkarasana (Wild Thing Pose)
- This pose brings flexibility to the spine and shoulder.
- Camatkarasana opens the lungs, chest, shoulders, and throat.
- This asana also stimulates the Anahata (heart chakra).
- It builds strength in the upper back.
- As a backbend it is energizing, aids digestion, eases stress, anxiety, tension, and boosts the immune system.
- Wild Thing Pose helps boost energy in the body.
- It provides a good sense of balance.
- It not only stretches the body but also makes strong too.
- This pose also improves focus and concentration.
- Adho Muka Svanasana (Downward Facing Dog Pose).
- Phalakasana (Plank Pose).
- Natarajasana (Dance Pose).
- Vasisthasana (Side Plank Pose).
- Matsyasana (Fish Pose).
- Purvottanasana (Upward Plank Pose).
- Ustrasana (Camel Pose).
- Utthita Parsvakonasana Variation Hand In Front (Extended Side Angle Pose Variation Hand In Front).
Follow Up Poses
Contraindications and Precautions
Some precautions to keep in mind with the practice of Camatkarasana (Wild Thing Pose).
- With the help of Camatkarasana, you can improve your body’s physique. But it is right to take the opinion of the doctor before doing such asana.
- Camatkarasana should be practiced only under special guidance.
- In the case of Low B.P. must be avoided this asana.
- Sciatica patients also avoided.
- According to the experts, this asana is considered best when yogi practiced early in the morning. Mornings are preferred as the food is digested as well as the body has the energy to perform the asana. Due to some reason, you cannot practice it in the morning, you can practice this asana in the evening as well. But at least keep 3-5 hour gap between your practice and meal.