Sarvangasana or shoulder stand is a powerful inversion pose wherein the whole body is balanced on the shoulders, body weight rests on the top outer edges of your shoulders, and the rest of the body lifts straight up in one line.
Although every yoga posture has its benefits, the benefits of practicing inversions are vast. Sarvangasana is yoga that benefits all the parts of your body ie promotes good blood circulation, reduces anxiety, insomnia, and irritability, calms nerves, stimulates the parasympathetic nervous system, aids digestive disorders, and improves immune function also. And even this asana is beneficial for everyone from children to elders, especially more beneficial for women.
Sarvangasana means “all limbs pose,” and “An inversion.” It is commonly referred to as Shoulderstand. As the name suggests, this posture is helpful in exercising parts of our entire body. This asana keeps a person mentally and physically healthy, and is also referred to as the ‘Queen of asanas’.
The Sanskrit word Sarva, meaning “all,” anga, meaning “limb,” and asana, meaning “pose” or “posture.”
There are many benefits of Sarvangasana, but it is a little difficult to do this. Therefore, to practice gradually and safely learning inversions under the instruction of a Yoga teacher.
Shoulder Stand Pose Quick Facts
Sanskrit Name: Salamba Sarvangasana, Sarvangasana, Kandrasana
English Name: Shoulder stand pose
Meaning: Sarva, meaning “all,” anga, meaning “limb,” and asana, meaning “pose” or “posture.”
Pose Level: Intermediate to advanced
Pose Position: Supine
Targets: Upper body
Pose Type: Inversion, Stretch, Strength, Balance
Stretches: Heart Muscles
Strengthens: Shoulders, Neck, Back, Spines
Stimulates: Vishuddha/Throat Chakra
Step-by-step Sarvangasana (Shoulder Stand Pose)
- Choose an environment that is suitable for yoga practice and spread the yoga mat. The environment should be clean, peace should be around. If possible, do this exercise in an open environment, so that the body gets more oxygen while performing this asana.
- To do this asana, first, lie down on your back.
- Both hands should be directly on the ground in the direction of the feet (keep the palms facing the ground). Both feet should be directly adjacent to each other.
- Now breathe in and out slowly and on lifting both the legs upwards, where they make an angle of 90 degrees from the ground, stop them there.
- Now, you have to use both hands to lift the waist and back upwards. Place the elbow of both hands on the ground and support your waist with your palms.
- While doing this step, keep the feet straight, and do not let your knees bend.
- While doing this, keep the chin with the throat. And keep your face towards the sky or the thumbs of the feet.
- In this asana, the entire weight of the body rests on the shoulders. So in this case, keep the area from your shoulder to elbow close to the ground.
- Stretch your legs upward and stretch, stabilize the body and stay in this position for a while according to your ability.
- Keep the breath normal.
- To come out of the Sarvangasana, bring the knees gently near the forehead. Keep your hands on the ground. Without raising the head, bring the waist down slowly. Bring your feet to the ground. Rest for at least 1 minute.
- After this, you can repeat this asana again.
Sarvangasana is a powerful pose, therefore its benefits are amazing:
- The practice of Salamba Sarvangasana is considered very beneficial for strengthening the shoulders. By regular practice of this yoga posture, your shoulders are toned and strengthened. Salamba Sarvangasana is also very beneficial for people who have bowed shoulders.
- The thyroid problem is completely cured by the continuous Sarvangasana practice. It’s practice, the thyroid gland is pressurized, and the thyroid gland becomes functional, which causes the gland to function properly. Apart from this, it helps in eliminating other diseases related to the throat.
- All types of dementia are removed by practicing this asana in the morning.
- All types of digestive problems are overcome by doing this posture. Along with this, this asana is also beneficial in relieving constipation. It is also beneficial in removing the problem of hemorrhoids.
- By doing this, the brain becomes sharp, memory changes, and the problem of stress is overcome.
- Regular practice of Sarvangasana brings a glow to your face as blood circulation increases in the face.
- The spine becomes healthy and flexible, and the muscles of the waist become enlarged and disease-free.
- It reduces the blood pressure in the blood vessels of the legs, thus this asana can prove to be a boon for those who are suffering from varicose veins.
- The practice of Salamba Sarvangasana is also very useful for strengthening the neck. Its practice is beneficial in many serious problems related to the neck such as Spondylitis or Stiff Neck.
- The practice of Salamba Sarvangasana is very useful to increase the flexibility and strength of the spine. With its regular practice, problems related to the spine are removed quickly. Apart from this, its regular practice works to increase the working capacity of the nervous system.
- Relieves problems related to the menstruation of women such as irregular menstruation, and abdominal pain during this period.
Doing yoga is beneficial when we do them in the right way and in the right state. A little mistake can be very harmful to our bodies. Let us know the precautions –
- During this period, women should avoid performing Sarvangasana.
- Pregnant women should also stay away from this asana.
- You should not practice this asana if you have pain in your back or your blood pressure.
- Do not do this asana if you have asthma or any respiratory disease.
- If you are feeling difficulty doing this asana, then you can use a pillow below the waist.
Feb 02, 2023
Yoga After Eating: Simple Asanas For Digestion After Overeating
There are many yoga asanas in yoga that you can do after overeating or post-dinner, these sweet yoga poses help[...]
Jan 13, 2023
Apanasana (Knees-to-Chest Pose)- Steps, Benefits & Precautions
Knees to Chest Pose aka Apanasana performed in the supine position and is also a wonderful way to release the[...]
Jan 09, 2023
12 Surya Mantras: Surya Namaskar Mantra You Need to Know
Surya Namaskar is the best among Yogasanas. This practice alone is able to benefit the practitioner from the complete yoga[...]