Scale Pose or Tulasana is among the most versatile yoga postures, which are imperative in the yoga practice all attributed to its enormous health benefits. The benefits of Scale pose (Tulasana ) are for both mental and physical and also awaken our spirituality. It can change the quality of our life.
Tulasana is formed using two Sanskrit words “ Tula ” meaning “scale” and asana stand for posture. In this yoga posture, the body is lifted off the floor, and the body swings back and forth, just like a scale. And the legs perform in Lotus Pose (Padmasana). Thereby Basically, it is known as lifted Lotus pose or seated lift. There is a need to find a balance between effort and effortlessness. The body will also get the balance between mind, and spirit. Benefits of scale pose or Tolasana may require a lot of practice to attain.
This asana is part of the primary series of Ashtanga yoga, and a challenging arm balance yoga posture that will tone the shoulders, core, stretch the hips, legs, sharpen the concentration, and improve body awareness.
Now, for learning scale pose let’s look at step-by-step practice so that you too can take a moment to defy gravity!
Tulasana or Scale Pose Quick Facts
Sanskrit Name: Tulasana or Tolasana
Sanskrit Pronunciation: toe-LAHS-anna
Meaning: tola: literally “poising one’s self”; usually rendered as “balance” or “scale” or asana: “pose”
English Name: Tulasana, Balance Pose, Dolasana (Swing Pose), Utthita Padmasana (Raised Lotus Pose)
Other Name: Scale Pose, Tolasana, Elevated Lotus Pose, Utthita Padmasana
Yoga Level: Intermediate and Advanced asana
Type: Strength, Balance
Focusing Chakra: Solar Plexus (Manipura Chakra)
Steps To Do Scale Pose (Tulasana or Tolasana pose)
- To come in Tolasana, first of all, you need to sit in Padmasana (cross the foot of one leg over the thighs of the other).
- Place the palms on the floor beside the hips. Spread the fingers wide and have the creases of the wrists facing forward.
- Now, Inhale deep.
- As you exhale, push the hands against the floor, and straighten the arms as you raise your torso and legs off the ground.
- When you are ready, lift your buttocks off the ground.
- Use your thigh muscles to help lift up your knees.
- Transfer your full bodyweight only on your hands and only hands should be the part of your body touching the floor.
- After that, try the body swings back and forth, just like a scale.
- Maintain the final position for about 20 seconds.
- To come out of the pose, lower your legs as you exhale.
- Repeat the pose, cross your legs the other way for the same amount of time.
- In finally, rest in Dandasana.
Additionally, Pigeon, Fire Log pose, and Compass pose will also help prepare the hips for lotus.
Benefits Of Scale Pose (Tulasana )
- The scale posture is a dynamic posture that benefits the body inside out. Getting benefits of Padmasana, Tolasana helps in building arms and core strength too. Many diseases are removed gradually by practicing Tolasana.
- Tolasana is a challenging posture because the whole abdomen is engaged and raised. and body weight and energy are required to be pulled. Thus, it helps to activate the Mula bandha (root lock) and Uddiyana bandha (upward abdominal lock). and as well as this helps in balancing the adrenalin and testosterone-estrogen in the body.
- It is also said to be beneficial for stimulating the Muladhara (root) chakra, which is frequently depicted as the third eye in artwork and is used in various meditations.
- It may require a lot of practice to attain this posture Because it is a strong pose, in this energy is activated, a person becomes more intuitive and intelligent. and teach patience and acceptance.
- This practice is more beneficial for students because the balancing quality helps improve the student’s overall balance in body and mind.
- The asana also increases the energy in your body and makes you hungry.
- Tolasana is also good for calming the mind and relieving stress or anxiety.
- Improve concentration as well as body awareness.
- It is an arm balance yoga posture that will tone the shoulders and core and strengthens the wrists, arms, shoulders, chest, hips, and legs.
- Regular practicing stimulation for digestion.
- It can stimulate the chakras through physical practices.
Chakra – Wise
Practicing Tolasana stimulates the third eye. It is also said to be beneficial for stimulating the Muladhara (root) chakra, which is frequently depicted as the third eye in artwork and is used in various meditations. it connects us with a different way of seeing and perceiving.
Apart from this, it also stimulates the sacral (Svadhishthana) Chakra and the Solar Plexus (Manipura) Chakra. These represent the physical elements of our lives.
There are many benefits of doing Tulasana yoga and it can be practice by people of any age at any time. Although its practice is mostly safe for everyone, people with some health problems should be careful while practicing this asana.
This yoga pose is not recommended for beginners and those who are not able to comfortably perform the lotus yoga pose.
If you have an injury to your shoulder, wrist, ankle, or knee, and tight hips then you will need to be very careful with Tolasana, it is better not to do it.
Additionally, People who have low blood pressure should not do this asana. However, if you are pregnant, practice this yoga asana only as prescribed by a trainer.
Tolasana is an advanced asana that creates a sense of powerful power to propel you up in the air that a yogi can feel.
This yoga pose requires plenty of warm-up in the wrists, shoulders, hip flexors, feet, ankles, and core muscles.
Tolasana creates deep flexibility in the ankles and wrists. The pose strengthens the wrists, arms, shoulders, chest, hips, legs, and helps to sharpen the mind and improve more concentration.
Mar 21, 2023
Yoga for Prostate Enlargement : Shrink Prostate Enlargement
Prostate enlargement is caused by changes in hormone levels, also known as benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). It is a normal[...]
Mar 17, 2023
5 Effective Yoga For Knee Pain And Joint Pain Relief
Yoga is an ancient Indian technique that removes pain from the root and makes the body disease-free. Yoga can be[...]
Mar 14, 2023
Yoga for flat stomach you need to know
Yoga can be an effective way to achieve a flat stomach, but it's important to keep in mind that the[...]
The content is purely informative and educational in nature and should not be construed as medical advice. Please use the content only in consultation with an appropriate certified medical or healthcare professional