Sugarcane Pose aka Ardha Chandra Chapasana refers to the shape of the upper body with a little extra quad stretch. However, It is a variation of Half Moon Pose.
As a standing balance, the Ardha Chandra Chapasana or Sugarcane Pose is complex in itself as it calls for maintaining and enhancing the balance of the body, leading to enhanced focus along with higher flexibility.
Your hips, hamstrings, buttocks, and thighs get toned and stretched with this balancing yoga pose. Because this posture affects your lower back. This pose is an intermediate vinyasa posture reducing the weight of the lower back, hips, hamstring butts, and thighs. Apart from this, it can tone up the abdominal muscles and improve your balance, focus, flexibility, and coordination.
Ardha Chandra Chapasana Meaning
The word Ardha Chandra Chapasana is a Sanskrit word where ‘Ardha’ means half, ‘Chandra’ means the moon, ‘chap’ means a bow, and ‘asana’ means posture. Thus it’s also called Half Moon Bow Pose.
The other name of this asana is Candy Cane Pose but popularly known as Sugarcane pose as in this pose the body takes the shape like sugarcane. Also is a powerful heart –and hip opener that combines a variation of half-moon pose.
Steps To Do Sugarcane Pose
- Begin in Tadasana (mountain pose) with your feet together and hip-distance apart. Keep the legs parallel and evenly distribute the weight.
- Breathe in and during this slowly bend your right knee. Simultaneously, keeping the tips of your right hand 6-8 inches in front of your right foot, bend forward from the hips. Your hands should be in a straight line.
- On an exhale, raise your left leg about 3 feet behind you and slowly bend the left leg at about a 45-degree angle from the knee. While turning the chest outward, raise the left hand and bring it in line with the right hand. Your hands should be in a straight line.
- Now hold the knee of your left leg with your left hand.
- Maintain this final pose for a few steady breaths and release it slowly.
- Beginners can place a block under your right hand for better stability and greater reach.
- If you’re having trouble reaching your foot, you can attach a strap to your arms to elevate the legs.
Sugarcane Pose Benefits
By doing Ardha Chandra Chapasana regularly, the area up to the cheek bladder, knee, kidney, liver, small intestine, chest, lungs, and neck are affected simultaneously. So that all these organs are exercised and all these organs remain healthy.
- One of the most beneficial benefits of doing Ardhachandrasana is to strengthen the bones of the ankles and thighs. This asana is very effective in strengthening bones. Because by doing this the emphasis is on the lower parts of our whole body, so our ankles and thighs have a special extension.
- Practicing this asana stretches most of your body parts. Especially the waist and the lower part of the body are completely stretched. Therefore, it is considered very effective in lower back pain.
- By its practice, the extra fat of the lower and middle part of the body starts burning. It reduces the fat of waist, hips and thighs.
- The Sugarcane pose helps improve core strength, balance and coordination and stretches the quadriceps and hamstrings.
- The Ardha Chandra Chapasana is therapeutic for menstruation. The asana soothes irritation and inflammation and provides far-reaching results.
The Ardha Chandra Chapasana is a unique as well as more challenging pose for basic level practice. As a standing balance, the cane pose strengthens the ankles, calves, and thighs, and stretches the hip flexors, groin, quadriceps, hamstrings, chest, and shoulders. The pose helps to gradually improve balance and coordination.
Jan 11, 2022
Core Yoga Poses: A Yoga Sequence For A Strong And Stable Core
There are individual core yoga poses you can practice strengthening your core muscles that build a strong and stable center![...]
Jan 06, 2022
How To Heal A Tight IT Band- Yoga For Iliotibial Band Syndrome
Yoga For IT Band, Do you have pain on the outside of your knee? This may be due to iliotibial[...]
Jan 04, 2022
Heart Opening Yoga Poses To Activate the Heart Chakra
Long working hours at the desk and leaning on the keyboard makes the spine rounder for the employees. It is[...]