The word Karnapidasana name comes from the Sanskrit language, where ‘Karna’ meaning “Ear”, ‘Pida’ means “Force”, and ‘Asana’ means “Yoga Posture.” Karnapidasanas is an advanced version of Halasana or Plow Pose. Hence, it is also known as ‘Raja Halasana’ (King Plough Posture). This asana is also known as “knee-to-ear pose” and “ear pressure pose”- where bending knees beside the ears.
Karnapidasana is a calm advanced, advances deep inversion yoga, and also considered to be an intermediate to advanced posture. This is a rare yoga pose that shows the principle of Pratyahara – wherever this fickle mind moves, try to bring it back from there and control the soul (this is Pratyahara). This pose is one such pose that can help to practice mindfulness more easily.
Karnapidasana is a perfect practice for keeping fit. It is a forward bending, deep stretching yoga pose in modern yoga. which is described in Swami Vishnudevananda. Karnapidasana helps to balance the Third Eye Chakra (Ajna Chakra), Throat Chakra (Vishuddha Chakra).
In this article, we talk about – how to perform a yoga Knee-to-ear pose in a step-by-step explanation, along with the Precaution attached to the pose. The myriad benefits of Karnapidasana have many physical benefits and this pose is used in an advanced hip opening sequence, and also valuable for a nice long stretch in the hamstrings, shoulders, and spine.
Karnapidasana Quick Facts
- Sanskrit Name: Karnapidasana
- Pronounced as Karṇapīḍāsana
- Other Names: Knee touching to ear pose, Ear pressure pose, knee to ear pose, Halasana Variation Knees to Floor, Deaf Mans Pose
- Level: Advanced
- Style: Hatha Yoga
- Body Position: Supine
- Strengthens: Vertebral column, Lungs
- Stretches: Hamstrings, Shoulders
- Focusing Chakras: Ajna Chakra and Vishuddha Chakra
How To Do Karnapidasana Yoga: Ear Pressure Pose
The practice of Karnapidasana Yogasana may seem a bit difficult and you may not be able to do it well at first, but it can be done easily with its consistent practice. Let us know Steps for Karnapidasana Yoga Pose-
- To do Karnapidasana, first of all, lay a yoga mat on the ground and lie on your back on it.
- Keep both your arms and legs straight.
- Now take a long breath and raise both your legs, this is the position of Sarvangasana.
- Now slowly try to move both your legs behind your head, in this position you will see your feet like Halasana.
- Keep your body weight on your shoulders and keep your hands straight on the ground.
- After coming in the pose of Halasana, bend both your legs from here on the knees.
- After bending the knees, bring the knees near both your ears, and cover both the ears with both your knees.
- Keep your eyes on the nose.
- Stay in this position and breathe at least 6 to 8 times.
- Now while exhaling, lower the legs and come to your starting position.
- To practice this pose, one should maintain flexibility and balance together.
- Child pose, Adho Mukho Asana, and forward folds can be practice prior to this, which will yield better results.
- If you feel any pressure on the head, you can eighter use a folded towel or yoga bricks under the head.
- Plow Pose (Halasana)
- Child pose (Balasana)
- Ananda balasana
- Downward-facing Dog Pose (Adho Mukha Svanasana)
Follow Up Poses
- The practice of Karnapidasana along with other yoga exercises gives a deep stretch to the spine and strengthens it and relieves pain.
- The practice of Karnapidasana stretches the entire back and helps in downward and forward bending to take advantage of many important spinal movements.
- Regular practice of Karnapidasana yoga cures respiratory problems and calms your mind. It reduces stress, anxiety and fatigue, improves breathing and brain processes.
- It regulates the metabolic activities of the body and apart from this Karnapidasana is also helpful in removing insomnia and controlling high blood pressure.
- Doing Karnapidasana yoga helps in the secretion of acids that stimulate digestion. As a result of which the toxicity present in the digestive system can be removed.
- By doing this asana, your stomach is affected. Because when you move your legs towards the back of the head, there is a force on your stomach. In such a situation, doing this yoga stimulates the digestive system or digestive fire as well as massages various internal organs.
- Regular practice of Karnapidasana gives a good stretch to the overall body, tones the inner thighs and makes it strong.
- Benefits of Karnapida Asana works on the thyroid-stimulating hormone. Thyrotropin or thyrotropic hormone is also known as thyroid stimulating hormone. These hormones trigger the thyroid gland to produce triiodothyronine and thyroxine. All these boost our metabolism thereby helping in regulating the functioning of our body.
- Especially this asana strengthen the shoulders, neck, lower back, hips and thighs. The muscles of the body can be made flexible. Thereby reducing the chances of injury or internal pain in your body.
- The benefits of doing Karnapidasana regularly can treat impotence in women and men. The use of Karnapidasana for women can relieve the symptoms of menopause as well as help in reducing the symptoms related to menstruation.
- For people who suffer from Diarrhea, Asthma, a heart condition, and High blood pressure problem please avoid practicing this pose.
- Beginner-level pregnant women practice under the expert’s supervision and doctor’s advice.
- Any kind of injury around the knees, back, shoulder, and hips, don’t practice this asana.
- Those who are suffering from Herniated disks must avoid this asana.
Karnapidasana yoga is an important yoga to keep your body healthy. In Karnapidasana yoga you can just listen to your breath which gives peace to your mind and makes you feel refreshed throughout the day. The practice of the wonderful ancient art of yoga gives the ability to solve every problem with restraint.
Jan 11, 2022
Core Yoga Poses: A Yoga Sequence For A Strong And Stable Core
There are individual core yoga poses you can practice strengthening your core muscles that build a strong and stable center![...]
Jan 06, 2022
How To Heal A Tight IT Band- Yoga For Iliotibial Band Syndrome
Yoga For IT Band, Do you have pain on the outside of your knee? This may be due to iliotibial[...]
Jan 04, 2022
Heart Opening Yoga Poses To Activate the Heart Chakra
Long working hours at the desk and leaning on the keyboard makes the spine rounder for the employees. It is[...]