We all suffer from neck pain in often in our daily lives owing to our sitting posture in office hours or working at home. We also want toned abdominal region and get free from stress. There are certain yoga poses which help in achieving these. Yoga has a plethora of great mental and physical benefits and also awaken our spirituality. It can change the quality of our lives. Among such yoga poses, one of the most versatile and beneficial is the Bitilasana or Cow Pose. Its name is derived from Sanskrit words, Bitila meaning cow, and asana meaning pose or posture. It is termed as such because it resembles the posture or position of the body of a cow. This asana is generally practiced along with the cat pose.
Like most of the asanas in Yoga, it is quite important to keep the stomach and bowl clean. It should be done after taking the meals at least four to six hours before you practice this posture as it gives your system ample time to digest the food and also generate the essential energy to do this asana. The best time for practicing this yoga is generally dawn or dusk.
Steps to do Bitilasana (Cow Pose)
- First, you need to start this asana by getting on your four limbs in a table top position.
- You need to make sure that the knees are placed right under the hips as well as the wrists should be in the line of the shoulders.
- Now let the hand hang in a particular neutral position. Gaze softly at the ground.
- Now, inhale and then lift the buttocks upward towards the top of the room as you open the chest. Let the abdomen sink towards the floor. Lift the head and then either look towards the roof or look forward.
- Hold this position for a few seconds. Now breathe out and then return back to the tabletop pose.
- Bitilasana is a combination of two movements. The respective counter movement is to exhale and then drop the chin to the chest as you arch the back and relax the buttocks.
- Do this movement and the counter-movement about 4 to 6 times before you stop.
- As a beginner, you should always protect the neck when you get into this posture. For that to achieve, broaden the shoulder blades and then pull them down so that they move away from the ears.
Precautions and Contraindications
There are a few points of caution that you should always keep in mind before you perform this asana.
- In case you have a sensitive neck, then don’t crunch the neck’s back too much as you try to look up. It is better to look forward in order to avoid the strain. Also, you should make sure that the shoulders are away from the ears.
- You should consult the doctor before you try this pose in case you are suffering from a neck injury. It is recommended to practice this yoga under expert’s supervision.
Benefits of Bitilasana (Cow Pose)
There are amazing benefits of this pose which are mentioned below:
- This asana assists in stretching the neck as well as front part of your torso.
- It also acts as a stress relieving posture.
- It massages your internal organs.
- It helps in increasing the blood circulation throughout your body.
- Since the primary movement is spinal movement, it relieves the back stress and also tones it. It also helps in reducing back pain and also cure sciatica.
You should always delve into this posture to bring out the best thing in you. It is essential to relax as well as rejuvenate the mind, body, and soul.